Help with my Hyundai Elantra

Does anyone specialize in repair of Hyundai autos? If so, please provide any help with the following problem, 2000 Hyundai Elantra, 99,000 miles, does not go up a hill at more that 25 mph. Have replaced spark plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve, oxygen sensor, crankshaft sensor, mechanic said it might be the catalytic converter. Does this sound right and would my dealer be any help in diagnosing this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Well, testing for a clogged cat is so simple you might want to do it yourself.

From the instructions that came with my 20 buck vacuum gauge:

1.“Note gauge readings at idle.”

1. “Watch needle pointer of gauge as engine speed is increased to approx 2500 RPM.
    If vacuum reading increases over 10” of HG the exhaust system is NOT restricted."

2. “If the needle pointer drops toward zero as RPM increases, either the exhaust system is restricted or an overactive EGR valve is causing the problem.”

Give it a shot & see what you come up with.

I once had a bad catalytic converter that did EXACTLY what you describe. The guts of the converter had broken loose, and when the car was climbing a hill, they would move to the rear of their enclosure and block the exhaust passage.

If the exhaust is blocked, the engine bogs down and has no power. When you get to the top of the hill, the insides of the cat move away from the exhaust outlet and the engine begins to run normally again.