Help Wanted: Fork lift drivers. Can work remotely

I wish I could show this to an old friend of mine. She hired me on a job where she trained me to drive a forklift. She showed me how another worker was operating one while he walked along side of it, telling me to never do what he did. (I never would have anyway. Why take the risk?)

A month or two later, my friend ran over her own foot with a forklift by doing the very thing she told me not to do. If she hadn’t broken her foot, it would have been hilarious.

2 Likes

Have a mechanic or two on site to maintain equipment, unjam pallets, ad do what ever the robots can’t. When I worked in a steel mill, the mechanical and electrical staff did maintenance work in their shops until something broke on the manufacturing line. Then the ant out, repaired it, and then went back to the shops steam crabs. No, really, they did.

We had a checklist before we used a forklift, no one ever used it, but if a tire was flat how would you know?

She’s lucky she didn’t end up amputating it…When I worked at RR Donnelley years ago, one of the Material Handlers wasn’t paying attention (ie acting like an idiot) while a forklift was bringing in a new pallet of stock, got their foot run over, needed an amputation despite the steel toes.

1 Like

Yeah, it does make sense. Hourly employees, unlike machines, call out sick, take vacations, show up with hangovers, complain about their jobs and their bosses, etc. Go into an Amazon warehouse and note the large quantity of machines, guided by artificial intelligence, working efficiently, 24/7 without any of the bad behaviors i listed above.

2 Likes