Help Tranny codes won't go away!

My 2013 van only has 105,000 miles on it. Tranny went out…took it to a local shop since the warranty was over. They rebuilt the tranny…found out the motor and tranny mounts were worn out. Replaced them. The check engine light was on when I got the van back. Long story short…due to a not so good exit from the place…I took the van to a friend and he tested it. The codes P0868, P0733. P083B…say permanent. These codes came up before my tranny was fixed. Could my van drive this good and still have those codes? Need to know since warranty is limited. If they do not pertain to the van at present…then how can they be deleted?

First…the codes are not permanent. They simply need to be reset with a scanner. Ask your friend if he can reset the codes. If not…take the van to another shop and reset the fault codes. If it were me…I would just disconnect the battery for an hour or so.

1 Like

If I understand OBDII systems (and I may not completely), there are pending, confirmed, and permanent codes. The first two can be erased with a code reader. Permanent codes will stay until the computer has seen that the underlying problem has been corrected, and will remove them itself.
I don’t know what type of drive cycles you will need to duplicate on a Dodge. I would drive your normal routine through a tank of gas and then have your friend read it again if the light hasn’t gone off by then.

http://upkeep.us/OBDII/OBD2/Chrysler/piart.php?art=1015

Take the vehicle back to who rebuilt the transmission, and have them test the transmission fluid pressure sensor.

Tester

If p0733 means incorrect ratio, I think what that means is the computer thinks the vehicle speed isn’t matching up with the engine rpm like it should, in 3rd gear. That could mean the transmission is slipping, or the vehicle speed sensor is out of whack, or likewise, the engine rpms sensor is malfunctioning. You’d usually notice when driving it if the transmission was slipping I’d guess. So besides what’s mentioned above, consider a faulty vehicle speed sensor. That’s often a gadget that screws into the transmission.

If the check engine light is on you need to look at the current faults, not the permanent faults. The permanent faults can’t be erased, they will go away once the PCM/TCM confirms the failure no longer exists.

P0733 Gear ratio error is a general fault that usually accompanies more serious faults, your transmission technician will know how to approach these faults.

Due to a not so good exit? Come clean. Did u have a disagreement with shop on repairs? Cost? Mechanics lien?

1 Like

Cavell…I drive my van as a taxi…The man at the shop was very nice to begin with. He told me 3-5 days. Every day the van was sitting in his shop it was losing money. After 5 days I called. Went and got mounts. He kept saying he was waiting on parts. After I messaged the owner…he got nasty. It took 11working days to finally get my van, and he told me one of the mounts would not fit. My Tom measured it and the old one…it was perfect. Tom put in the front mount. The check engine light was on when I left there. I drove it for a couple of days and took it to my friend, and so the codes. Really do not want to have to go back to that place, but may have to…Been driving it every day for 11 days now…been through 2 tanks of gas. Will try the battery…Hoping it works, as I really hate to go back there.

This code was on the machine when they put the tester on at the shop…in fact ALL these codes plus some were on the tester. Will try disconnecting the battery. Might go have the fluid checked since I can not check it. Never had a vehicle that I could not check the fluid…hate it…

Before you disconnect that battery, you might want to read this first.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/battery_disconnect_problems.htm

Tester

The battery has been disconnected before, and was disconnected when the tranny was rebuilt. Battery was replaced about 6 months ago. Had a 2005 and disconnected it to reset the door locks, and change the alternator a couple of times…never had any problems. Never heard of this before. Drove the 2005 for 7 years…never had a tranny problem, but had coolant problems with it, and O’Reailly’s had a bad batch of alternators…had to change the altenator 3 times…they finally gave me a better more expensive one and had no more problems. THIS 2013 van had 37.000 miles on it when I bought it. Had the tranny serviced at 61,000 miles like the manual said to do. Took it to the dealership. Soon afterwards the check engine light came on. The code said that a valve was stuck open in the tranny. I was going to take it back in, but the light went out. A week or so later it came on again…said the same thing. I was told by a mechanic that unless the check engine light starts flashing…forget about it. Apparently I should not have listened to them. As soon as the warranty was up…the tranny went. I did not buy an extended warranty as no one could give me the warranty in writing ! They promised everything covered, but would not send me paper work that said so. Turned them down. So with THIS van I have made multiple mistakes…not used to so much technology, and electrical CRAP! Should have gotten me an older van…replaced the motor and tranny…I would STILL have money in the bank! LOL Live and learn!

I can understand your frustration OP, but cars, vans, and the like, they do break down from time to time. And taxi-service use is especially taxing on the engine, transmission, and brakes , if you’ll excuse the pun. A lot of us here would prefer less complicated vehicles but there really isn’t much choice these days, you gotta buy what’s being sold, not what you’d like to buy in an ideal world. So I don’t think you made a mistake buying a 2013 w/37K. In fact that seems the ideal point to have purchased it, any sample defects have probably been addressed by the prior owner, and now you are driving the watermelon’s heart miles so to speak. And for a bargain price.

Just curious, since it costs you income when your vehicle is off the road, what do other taxi drivers do about that problem? It seems like it would make sense for you to have two cars, so when one is in the shop you could just drive the other for your taxi income. Or maybe you could form a pool of 2nd driver vehicles w/other taxi drivers you could share among yourselves for this situation.

I lease my van to a company. I give them a small percentage of what I
book…I pay maintenance and Insurance. It would be Wonderful to have 2
vehicles, but Commercial Insurance is expensive, and I would have to have
liability on both vehicles…And I would have TWO vehicles to fix…LOL
No one else drives my van but me and whoever is working on it. My Tom can
not even drive it unless he is working on it…because he is not on the
insurance. I roughly put 35,000 miles a year on it…run 5 days a
week…10-12 hours a day. Very rarely go more than 25 miles on a trip.
Used to have longer runs when we did VA and Non-Emergency Medical runs for
Insurance Companies and Workman’s Comp. We have One company left that we
drive for…VA has their own shuttle now.