HELP! Rear tires making a metal dragging noise/ grinding. NEW BRAKES AND DRUMS

Like most antique cars.

;-]

1 Like

I’m able to stop my Corolla only using the handle brake. But it doesn’t stop that well compared to 4-wheel hydraulic brakes of course, but it will slow & stop the car in an emergency, eventually. Reminds me of another story, oh no!! I had a non-driving (b/c of a disability) co-worker and friend years ago who was sort of a worry wort about riding in cars, felt out of control, esp if something happened to the driver and he was left in a moving car with no way to stop. Apparently at some point in his past he was in a parked car and the driver left him to buy something at a store and forgot to put the parking brake one. The car moved downhill out of the parking lot and ended up in the middle of the road, with him inside, and cars honking. I showed him how he could pull the emergency brake handle between the seats to stop the car, and after that he felt much more comfortable.

I expect the reason the OP used the emergency brake was b/c that’s the only way to apply only the rear brakes. When you step on the brake pedal all 4 wheels are stopped. It’s an easy test to prove the sound is from the rear brakes, not the front.

1 Like

One of many things like about my 1999 Civic is the rear drum brakes, controlled by a lever between the seats, with a release button on the end of the lever. I can apply only the rear brakes to check for a noise, or dry them out, or assure that they are releasing, and modulate the amount of braking action by holding the release button and working the lever. I can depend on them as emergency brakes. And it’s very easy to use and release as a parking brake.

Every other parking brake design I’ve seen is deficienct, ergonomically and functionally.

2 Likes

Yes. drums were installed to new shoes

Im taking it to honda monday. i will let you guys know the diagnosis.

For anyone reading this in 2023 trying to figure out why one wheel is grinding after replacing the shoes and drums.

I searched and searched trying to find out why only one wheel was grinding while driving and braking. I was about to go buy a new wheel bearing assembly and replace that because every answer I found said it could be that- including a lot of the comments here.

I took the drum off (after having to replace it again because the first one was all scored up after replacing it and driving while it was grinding- based on one of the comments saying ignore it bc it will go away
 It didn’t go away. And was dangerous to drive like that) I looked inside the drum where it was scored from grinding and put my hand around the shoes to figure out what was causing this.

The one side of the shoe was not behind the bracket at the bottom. Out of all the videos I watched and things I read on how to replace drums and shoes not 1 mentioned to make sure the shoes were behind the bracket at the bottom. I included a picture so you can see what I mean. When I fixed that the grinding was gone.

The left side is not behind the bracket. If you look at the right side you can see the difference.