Help on how to handle an accident

The problem with roof repair is that after many years, new replacement shingles to match the existing ones is going to be nearly impossible. Talk about “diminished value,” you’ve no doubt seen those cobbled together mismatched roof shingle replacements.

I have bundles of new shingles that I kept when I did my roof. What’s the chance they’d even be a good match after 7 years aging on the old ones?

In a storm damage situation like that it only makes sense to reshingle an entire side or section of a roof.

Consider too, not all insurance adjusters are the sharpest knives in the drawer.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses::palm_tree:

1 Like

Probably depends on the geographic location. I bought some new shingles to use in patching a 15 year old roof. You can’t tell at all. They are not solid colors (like black or white) and are architectural shingles as well so that may also help. But being in a cooler climate, they may bleach out less than say a more sunny, hot climate.

I’ve had insurance companies try to pay less then market value also…but refused to accept their offer. I then provided proof (several new paper clippings - before internet) of similar vehicle to mine selling a lot more then what they were offering. They eventually saw things my way and gave me what I was asking for. I agree that insurance companies will almost ALWAYS low-ball…but that doesn’t mean it’s over. You can always question it.

1 Like

The only reason I pipe up is that I have had State Farm all my life and have never had a problem with them. I think folks in other states may have a different experience but in Minnesota and South Dakota they have been fine for me. When I had hail damage on my roof and didn’t know it, the adjuster came by one morning, got up on my roof and took a look. Explained the damage and wrote me a check for $9000 on the spot for 2/3s of their total cost estimate. The rest after the work was done. I got a new roof with architectural shingles for that amount.

Yeah, I always keep a bundle of the original shingles just for patching if needed. My original roof was put on in January and never did seal down entirely, so I replaced shingles here and there about six times. You could see a little variation in the shingles but really not much. I suppose depends on the color though. Mine are weathered wood and green or something may be worse.

Blue skies, but I’m not going up on that roof again. The view was great though.

That has my experience, too, times three different collisions. It is negotiable (sometimes highly negotiable) if one chooses to negotiate, rather than take the money and run. You hold title, not the insurance company, until/if you surrender it.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

Bingo!
In addition to my neighbor’s adjuster not being particularly sharp, she was also nasty! When she appeared for the second time, following his appeal to the state insurance commissioner, she told him, 'We’re not about to write you a nice big check so that you can take a vacation in The Bahamas"!

Shortly after he finally received the paltry payout from State Farm, he changed both his homeowner’s and auto policies to the company that I recommended.

1 Like

So no trip to the Bahamas? How sad. :cry: The one thing that I think is important for homeowner’s coverage though is to have “replacement” coverage. Maybe them had it but just sayin’ think it makes a difference at claim time.

That’s what I have, “replacement value” insurance and just like Norm Peterson’s undershorts on Cheers, it’s “self-adjusting,” automatically for inflation.

Some folks have a fixed amount of coverage and don’t up-grade over time and are shocked when a loss occurs and they come up short.

On the cars I keep “broadened collision” (no deductible) and full comprehensive (zero deductible on glass).
Another thing, I have fairly high deductibles at the 2 residences, so I keep a personal articles policy going for bicycles, golf clubs, things that can be stolen or lost. Insurance gives me a good night’s sleep.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

I have replacement coverage, my understanding replacement is 100k over asessed value, 1918 double thick brick home, oak floors, wood trim etc. Hope I do not need to find out. In the future I will have colission on my cars, had no idea my insurance company would throw me to the wolves. :frowning: My naive mind thought since I was not responsible the insurance company would handle everything.

With SF if you get involved with another SF car, no problem, they pay everything except you are assessed at 50% fault. So I go but but but, I was standing still. Too bad, you shouldn’t have been sitting there. I guess no big deal. I just didn’t like being assessed any blame. Thing is though with deer and animals, they are acts of God, where they figure it was God’s fault and not mine.

I wonder if that is because of your state insurance regulators . Our accident with another State Farm customer ( guess that is what SF means ) who backed into us while we leaving the parking lot did not assign us any responsibility .

1 Like

Could be I dunno but don’t remember anything like that in the regulations when I studied them some years ago. It might be a Minnesota thing since each operates a little independently, or it might just be old news since it was at least 30 years ago.

@bing 3 days of trying to get through to MN, are those guys on shutdown? Boats are licensed in MN, want to see about getting MN plates for a car to tow the boats and leave it up there so I do not have to go to WI for emissions tests. Nobody answers, after 1/2 hour on hold get disconnected. Do you know if a part time resident who wants to leave a vehicle can get MN plates?

I dunno. I think you have to be a resident. Now you gotta be real careful because the Revenue Dept. likes to go after people for tax even though they might legally reside in another state, like Florida. Now I know with a boat, it has to come back to Minnesota within 90 days to still have a MN license in SD but I don’t know about the other way around. I don’t think I’d deal with the folks at the capitol though and just talk to one of the local registrars. They are usually private businesses and a lot friendlier. I only dealt with the folks in St. Paul once, though. Now they have been dealing a failed new $100 million licensing system that doesn’t work and is being replaced and also trying to implement real ID and a couple months behind, so maybe that’s why.

The boats stay in MN, and want the car to also, Never a problem licensing the boats, nothing is easy if you can’t talk to anyone!

Where is the guy that tells everyone that they are wasting their time asking questions on Car Talk, just call your DMV office and you will have your answer.

I can’t get through!

The Minnesota DMV web site has several forms in the contact section to ask questions and they answer by email . That is worth a try.