Heavy Weight Passenger

I am 6’ 2 and I have to try on a car for size just as I try on a pair of shoes. I have long legs and some cars do not have enough front leg room for me. The Honda Civics in my institution’s fleet were one such vehicle. Another vehicle that proved uncomfortable for me was the 1993 Oldsmobile 88 we once owned. It had a power seat that adjusted in all directions, but after 100 miles on the road, my legs really cramped up. We presently have an SUV and a minivan and I really like sitting up. If these vehicles go out of production, I’ll go to a pickup truck. I don’t think I want to go back to a conventional car.

Depends on where your height is as others have said many times. I have sat in a car with a long waist guy who had less headroom then I being three inches taller. My son who at 6’5" and a three inches taller then I, never seems to lack for head room. Now, leg room for both he and I is a different story. That’s where telescoping steering wheels come in. Standard plane seating is torture for the both of us. So in general, steering wheels can be just as important for correct seating posture as the actual seat adjustment for many.

Standard plane seating is torture for the both of us.

Plane seating has become a joke for anyone taller then 5’5. I can’t fly more then 2 hours without my legs cramping up. And the person in front of me won’t be able to put his seat back because my knees are firmly planted in the back of his seat.

I always at least, get the isle seat so tripping one of the stews becomes a common occurrence. Poping a Ibuprofin PM and a prsciption drug of my choice is an absolute must for a cross country flight. I put my self into a stupor going to and from California last fall. I can see why alcohol is a big seller with the terrible seating. Fortunatley, car drivers don’t/shouldn’t have that option.

Agreed about airline seats–it’s like being squeezed into the back of a small car with the front seat most of the way back, at least on economy flights.

I remember many moons ago when I was working one of my first jobs delivering pizza. I delivered to a trailer whose occupant was morbidly obese. (probably 400-500 lbs) The trailer leaned and both of the vehicles parked in front had a pronounced list to port. I don’t know what you have to do to make your home lean like that, but it was comical. (though not for the poor guy I’m sure)

@Jazzygirl DC
I bought a 2010 Mazda CX-7. They discontinued the model for 2013 and replaced it with the CX-5. I had a chance to sit in one at the dealership Monday when I took my 7 in for a recall; it was just as comfortable to sit in as my 7.

If you ever get into the market for a new car, I’d recommend looking at one.

@dagosa and @MikeInNH–I have the same problem with seats in airplanes. Once, however, I lucked out on Southwest Airlines and had the seat by the emergency exit. The seat ahead of my seat faced to the rear. I had plenty of legroom. I had been assigned another seat, but the person who had the seat ner the emergency exit said she didn’t think she knew how to open it if there was an emergency. The flight attendant then asked me if I thought I could handle the emergency exit. When I saw the increased leg room, I responded affirmatively. She then asked how I was so sure I could do it. I told her that I opened the emergency exit door all the time when I was in elementary school and rode the school bus. When the bus would stop to pick up other students, I would open the emergency door, jump out, have a quick smoke and jump back in. That satisfied the flight attendant and I did get the seat. She did tell me however, not to open the door and go out for a smoke while the plane was in flight.

Might be kinda hard to light the cigarette out on the wing of the plane.

Smokers are dedicated souls. I know a few who would try anything midway through a long flight. I just have to take the max dose of all my pain meds and give myself some recovery time after arrival. It used to be so simple. I barely suffer from jet lag and could be in full tourist mode once I left the airport. I miss that badly.

My last two significant vacations had to be cut short to get me home to my doctors. I will get to Quebec eventually. Before the last two years I had been holding it in reserve as an ‘easy’ trip as I’m in New England every year. Now it seems as remote as Tasmania.

@Triedaq - I’ve had the emergency exit a few times…and I agree - lot more leg room. But I still travel at least once a month. During the summer 2-3 times I’m in the air. Getting that seat is very rare. But if it’s available I go for it. I use to sometimes upgrade to First or business class with all my frequent miles…Now I use them to buy tickets for the family vacations.

thank you all for your helpful responses.