Heavy rain. Car won't start

During this ongoing heavy rain I accidentally ran into more than a couple big puddles. I drive a 92 Honda civic lx. Obvious electrical malfunctions started that’s a given. But now my car wont start without a jumpstart. Then everything starts dimming till off. I read that its my alternator belt, that I need to replace it. Is anyone sure of that being the solution or no? Its like my first car and I’m learning. Help

Have an auto parts store check the alternator.

1 Like

What happens when the car won’t start? Does it make any noises? Do lights turn off that were on before you turned the key?

One weak sputter. All lights turn on, tick tick tick. Then mechanical noises from inside. Like after the water got it in a period of like a day and a half one by one devices started to go off or dim super low.

If the alternator belt looks near the end of its life, replacing it is the first thing I’d do. If the belt wear looks ok but the belt is loose, tighten it to spec. That all has to be done anyway, even if that’s not the problem. If it still starts ok and runs all day long w/no problems as long it starts w/a jumpstart, but won’t start the next AM except w/a jumpstart, do the basic charging system test. Requires only an accurate volt meter. Before the first start of the day the battery should measure close to 12.6 volts. If so, then immediately after starting the engine it should measure in the 13.5-15.5 volt range. Does it?

• Squealing noise from the front of the vehicle. If you notice a squealing noise coming from the front of your vehicle, it could be from the serpentine belt. …
  • Power steering and AC not working. If the serpentine belt completely fails and breaks , then your car will break down. …
  • Engine overheating . …
  • Cracks and wear on the belt.
    If you notice any of this then it’s probably the belt.