Heat Related Airbag (SRS) Fault

My 2003 Tundra is showing a fault light for the SRS. It only shows when the air temperature is high. After running the A/C for the drive home, I can turn off the truck and restart it and the fault light doesn’t show. That seems to indicate the fault is related to cabin temperature. Any ideas of what is causing the fault? Thanks.

Other info. Mileage is about 45,000. Passenger side airbag replaced last June or July in recall. Fault problem started about the middle of May 2016 on the first day the truck was in the sun on a hot day. No fault light when truck is in shade all day.

I’d take it to a dealer. Air bag systems contain the equivalent of explosives, and need an expert to diagnose and repair.

There are 100 different possible faults, you will need to have it diagnosed and tell use the fault that is detected.

Unfortunately, it’s pointless to ask us for advice, if you can’t give us the fault codes

You either need to pay somebody to diagnose and repair it . . .

or buy/borrow a code reader/scanner that is capable of retrieving srs fault codes for your vehicle

autozone MIGHT have such a code reader for use by the counter person. Perhaps they’ll retrieve fault codes for free. But I think the tools they have behind the counter only read engine codes

autozone MIGHT have such a code reader for use by the counter person.
Nope. Just standard OBD II codes. No SRS or ABS codes although we do sell scanners with those capabilities.

@NYBo

" . . . although we do sell scanners with those capabilities."

Aha . . . by chance, do you work for autozone . . . ?!

As posted above, you need a proper diagnosis. These gadgets are too unsafe to mess with otherwise. I expect it will turn out to be a problematic electrical connection under the dash or in the steering column/steering wheel area.

@NYBo

" . . . although we do sell scanners with those capabilities."

Aha . . . by chance, do you work for autozone . . . ?!

Hm, now, could be!

@NYBo

If you don’t mind me asking . . .

what’s the biggest and/or most complicated job you’ve done for a customer in the autozone parking lot?

I’m asking, because I always see customers standing by, while the employees are working on the cars :cold_sweat:

We aren’t permitted to do anything beyond simple battery, bulb, and windshield wiper replacement, stuff I did in my first job over 40 years ago. Actually did a lot more back then.

@NYBo

I’m in California, and I see the autozone guys doing a LOT more than batteries,bulbs and wiper blades

Perhaps NY state is very strict . . . ?

Actually, in CA, they aren’t allowed to read OBD codes; we are. In every state (I think), we can test batteries, starters, and alternators.

If they are doing more extensive repairs they are violating company policy if not state laws pertaining to certification of mechanics.

@NYBo

I have no doubt they ARE in violation of numerous laws and regulations :warning:

I’ve been a public sector fleet mechanic for several years now . . . the CA autozone guys aren’t taking MY work away :sunglasses:

worst case scenario . . . they’re taking away potential sidejobs

But I really haven’t been doing too many of those lately, anyways

The air bag replacement probably carries a warranty that is still in effect. Look at the paperwork for your air bag replacement and see if that is true. If the information is not there, Nissan may have it on their web site or the dealer would surely know. They are reimbursed by Nissan America for the work, and should be straight with you.

Toyota won’t warranty the entire passive restraint system because of an airbag inflator recall but the dealer that performed the recall might recheck the system for free.

Might be caused by a poor connection at the clock spring for the air bag.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2003,tundra,3.4l+v6,1418464,interior,air+bag+clockspring,10480

Tester

My dilemma is that I don’t trust the Toyota dealership. When I had the airbag replaced under the recall, the service department scraped the airbag cover and tried to conceal it with paint. They had to replace the airbag assembly again for $900, so they’re probably looking to recoup that.

I’m trying to get independent ideas. I’ll have to find a shop with a scanner that will diagnose the SRS.

If you live in a reasonably populous area you shouldn’t have too much trouble locating an independent shop specializing in Toyota’s or at least Asian cars who’ll have all the needed diagnostic equipment and expertise to help you out with this problem.