Headlight bulb replacement

I recently replaced my low-beam lamps with expensive bulbs that are puting out “whiter” light but not more of it!! Do replacement bulbs that put out more light for the same wattage rating exist, and if so what would be the unit of measure?

If you want “more” light you need higher wattage bulbs. They are out there, but they are illegal for use on public roads and your car’s electrical system may not be able to handle them. They also generate more heat.

I’ve tried some of the illegal bulbs, and some of the expensive “super white” bulbs. The illegal bulbs put out LOTS of light but they don’t last long and they really annoy oncoming drivers.

The best legal bulbs I’ve found are the Sylvania Xtravision, which are available at most auto parts stores. I’ve quit wasting my money and now run Xtravision bulbs in both of my cars. I’m happy with these bulbs, and they don’t cost a lot.

For more than you ever wanted to know about automotive headlights check out http://www.DanielSternLighting.com

Whiter light is likely bluer light. You eyes are actually more likely to see better using the standard halogen lights than the blue ones that are generally dimmer because they start life as standard lamps and they just use a blue coating to make they look like those foolish expensive HID’s.

The best approach, in my opinion, would be going to an E-Code light. (that is a european code, but made for right hand drive countries) Same total light output, but it is put where it really needs it. I had them in my old car, but the new one would require a whole new light assembly and in my car that is expensive.

Nice link. I particularly found the spec chart interesting.

Contrary to popular belief, one does not necessarily need a higher wattage bulb to get more light. 55W bulbs, for example, can be had in a range of 1000 to 1870 watts.

For those needing the info, watts is power. It’s measured by multiplying voltage times curent. Lumens is light output.

The energy is converted by the bulb into two forms, heat and light. Different filament diameters and lengths of the same fibrous tungsten produce different ratios of heat and light. Different inert gasses allow different temperatures.

It actually gets a tad more complex, because transmission characteristics of the bulb material can affect the light output (some can be retained as heat and dissipated through the bulb) as well as it’s spectral curve. For example, fused quartz (used in quartz-halogen bulbs) transmits lower frequencies of the spectral curve better than regular glass, so the output appears whiter and brighter.

Rummage through some of the links on the attached sites for some really detailed information. The first, the research paper, is the more technical. The second is an Osram Sylvania site that’s more consumer orented.

Enjoy!

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/transportation/vehicle.asp

http://www.sylvania.com/LearnLighting/LearnAutoLighting/LightingYourAutomobile101/

Now that’s some fascinating stuff. Thanks, Mountainbike.

You are welcome my friend.

Vehicle: Hyundai 2005 XG350, I recently changed out all the OEM lights to white L.E.D and the only issue now is the Highbeam LED cannot fit into the socket because, the headlamp socket is too small only fitted for the small OEM light bulb. Should I drill a larger hole into the rear socket to allow more space for the LED high beam light to fit in?

I wish i could upload an image to show what I mean when the part size is incompatible but the outlet seems perfect.

No, this is probably a bad idea . Your vehicle was never meant to have LED lights so as many other people write forums you may have problems you don’t need . You will gain more by putting in the correct bulbs and cleaning the headlight lenses with a polishing kit.

1 Like

I already purchased the LED and willing to use it because the yellow OEM is not visible on the road

I also noticed another port below that may fit the LED light. It fit the LED but was closed off. I am not sure if this port was to fit other types of bulb.

Would anyone know why there is another space for the light bulb to be installed in the headlamp for Hyundai 2005 XG350? Is this space just for appearance or for installing a modified light bulb?