Head-on hit

I have to agree with @keith , no way that was a 30 MPH hit. I would guesstimate 15 MPH maybe. But yeah, let the other guy’s insurance cover it. Good to hear that you made through relatively unscathed.

Whose insurance is paying for the rental car . . . ?

@db4690 My insurance. Still don’t know if the guy even has insurance. Found out today police were supposed to give me info at the scene but didn’t and they won’t provide one to me for at least two or more weeks. My insurance is pursuing a copy of the report. Yep, I am living in the mad hatter’s tea party down the rabbit hole.

The officers probably took your information first so you could be transported and may have had trouble getting anything from the other person. Just assume you will have to pay deductible to your insurance and hope they can recover it later for you.
It took about 3 weeks for our settlement check due to negotiations and reappraisals.

@VOLVO_V70. Quite likely. My insurance said they have means of tracking down all info.

A comment about the truck not running 30 MPH or else the damage would be more severe in appearance. I say not necessarily.

In a prior comment I referenced my youngest son’s Camaro becoming a total loss. The nose appearance of his car looked no worse than Marnet’s Camry and he broadsided a Crown Vic at over 35 MPH.
Note the small dent in the center of the hood on the Camry. The hood on my son’s Camaro did not have any dings at all and the front valance was distorted a little but was left uncracked.

The impact of the Camaro left the Crown Vic a total wreck also and several occupants at least mildly injured when the Chevy caved both driver side doors in.

(Note the wreck was not the boy’s fault. The Crown Vic made a left turn from the outside lane of a 6 lane road and the son was in the inside lane. It was amazing to me that someone would try to cross 5 more lanes of traffic in a high traffic volume area…)

When you’re feeling ok, go back to that location and take some photos. Look for any indication signage or something another isn’t up to snuff. Might pay off later. A couple years ago a neighbor of mine got hit by a truck, and the neighbor documented the accident site with photos, discovered the truck driver’s visibility was impaired by a “for rent” sign illegally placed on the sidewalk. Other neighbors apparently had already complained to police about that sign placement being unsafe. Not sure how it all ended up, but that sign disappeared about 3 months later, and has never re-appeared.

@ok4450. I hope your son wasn’t hurt in that crash.

Good catch of the small dent center of the hood. It doesn’t show clearly in the photos.

There was nasty damage under the front license plate with the plate itself rather mangled although it can be hammered back into usable condition with a rubber mallet probably. But I didn’t want my plate number visible on the internet so covered it before taking photos. But by covering it, it actually makes damage center front look a bit less than it does to eyeball it.

@GeorgeSanJose. Thanks. Good suggestion.

@Marnet, thanks for your concern. The boy wasn’t hurt too badly. He limped around for a few months with a very sore right foot due to it being planted so hard on the brake pedal but exams showed no broken bones or whatever.

Regarding his Camaro. As I said, the nose of his car did not look any worse than yours and my initial impression was we could fix it right up so he had it towed home and put into the garage. I went down to Stillwater a few weeks later and started a more serious inspection by jacking it up, pulling the wheels, and so on.

That’s when I found chassis damage on the firewall and right front wheel well. I pulled the carpet up in the front floor wells and that’s when I found the floor pan buckled a bit. At that point it was game over; the car was junk except for the most serious minded of rebuilders.
It simply wasn’t worth the effort or expense to repair; as the body guy who bought it discovered. And yes, all of this was pointed out to him pre-purchase.

Even odder, none of the headlights, radiator, A/C condenser, radiator supports, or battery suffered one iota of damage.

@ok4450 Good to know he wasn’t seriously hurt!

I’m using a body shop that did good work fixing a minor ding on the '87 Olds about twelve years ago and later fixing the Impala when I hit that broken raised slab on the interstate three years ago. They have excellent ratings and are a select shop for all the major insurance companies. My regular mechanic and also both the Olds dealer of long ago and the Chevy dealer all made this body shop their first recommendation. And I know from my previous experience there that they are very good about both explaining and showing all problems to me and answering all my questions, then completing the work in a timely manner.

I took the option of having the car transported on a flatbed tow truck. The shop is a good 15+ miles away and I would have had to wait there for the rental car agency to come get me. Feeling darned sore and still shaky and not trusting how drivable the car is for that distance, I opted to stay home and let the car be towed and relax at home waiting for the rental.

I’ll find out in a day or so the extent of the damage.

Estimate over $2,000 which isn’t bad all things considered. Everything involving the front bumper plus the hood latch.

I asked what about the window and was told it couldn’t be related. I politely insisted it has to be so they are going to look at it; I think they hadn’t checked it before despite my original request they do so.

I also questioned about all suspension components and frame. Was told thorough inspection found no damage to those.

I again requested double check of all wiring and hoses to ensure nothing jarred loose. And that radiator be checked for hairline cracks. They said they will.

They seemed surprised I am asking such pointed questions but are being courteous about it. I think they are used to handing back the keys with a “here you go little lady, good as new” verbal pat on the back. :confused:

Body shop called today to say the replacement bumper came in and “it looks good and should look nice when painted”, so I assume it is parted from a salvage yard.

Presume that is standard procedure???

This is the bumper cover I assume. Seriously, relax and make your decision after the work is done and just make sure you know how long the warranty period is for.

Just check it when the car is returned (I know you will). If it isn’t right, have themmake it right.

Yes, bumper cover but also all underlying bumper components but not the grille.

You’re right, I need to chill. Guess I’m just still feeling rattled, still seeing that truck headed at me with nowhere to go in those few seconds.

@Marnet, that’s just who you are. You also obsessed over problems on the old Impala and the decision to buy this Camry. Being careful is a good trait to have sometimes.

@jtsanders. LOL. You’re right, I tend to obsess over things that involve my cars and house. Friends say I’m too detail oriented to the point of being anal about such things.

I keep reminding myself that back in 1988 I got rear ended hard while sitting stopped at a stop sign waiting for cross traffic to clear. That was my first new car, the '87 Olds, I’d had only ten months. It was repaired, needing all new rear bumper and one quarter panel. It did fine afterwards and I drove it twenty years before giving it to a nephew. He drove it several more and still has it, waiting to give it to his son as a project car.

In the end the car is only a machine that has and will continue to acquire age, mileage, wear and tear. Damage to it and me ended up being relatively minimal so I’m going to call it good. (But I WILL look over the repairs closely. Now where is that fine tooth comb? :grinning:)

Understatement Alert ! Just joking.

:blush: LOL. It all started with my first bicycle at age seven. I still have the second bike from age thirteen, a lovely blue and silver Schwinn Classic Cruiser. :grinning: