Have you gotten busted for talking on a handheld cellphone while driving?

ok4450 and db4690 Thank you for refreshing my defective memory concerning the guy driving home from the Elk’s lodge. When he was asked if it was his car and replied yes he was then asked if he had driven it there and replied yes. His confession to DUI ensured his conviction. Was he stupid? No. He was ignorant of the recent draconian enforcement of DUI which was state legislature and MADD driven. The officers had to arrest him due to policies far above their pay grade. Prior to these policies being implemented standard procedure for a suspected drunk driver that had been pulled over was to lock the car, confiscate the keys and drive them home. The next day it was the driver’s responsibility to claim their keys at the police station and retrieve their car. If they had been pulled over for speeding, running a red light, or crossing the center line they would more than likely spend the night in jail. The next day they would be cited for the appropriate violation(s) and released. If this had happened a couple of months earlier the officers most likely would have waited for his wife to pick him up. We have strayed rather far from phones. In those pre DUI arrest days officers suspected a drunk driver when a vehicle was going unusually slow and swerving slightly. Now days it would probably be a texter.

Arresting a guy driving a motorized lazy boy is a waste of police resources

So the guy who’s drunk driving his wheelchair down a busy street…stopping traffic, causing accidents…yup the cops should just let him go…And the show COPS…have shown that exact same thing more then once.

Just when someone perfects the motorized bed that can climb stairs, there comes a paradigm shift and someone comes up with the idea of an elevator.

I’m too old to serve on a jury any more and once convicted a guy on DUI, but I have to say there is no way I would vote to convict a guy driving a lazy boy, lawn mower, or horse unless the horse was drunk. It would have to be an extreme case of the guy causing a hazard or I would be the lone hold out until dismissed. Our legal system is to insure justice and arresting a guy driving his lazy boy home from the VFW is not justice in my view. At least that’s how I see it as a recovering stupid voter.

well if the fellow was following the same path home for forty years without problems, I would be with bing

Bing How do you get to be to old to serve on a jury? You must be ancient. After I served on two juries I discovered that as a member of the National Guard I was exempt. The court “failed” to inform me of this. Both trials were no brainer guilty as charged and somewhat humorous. The second one was motor vehicle related and would fit here. Unfortunately it is a long involved story which exceeds my poor typing skills. Maybe later. When my friend was arrested and convicted when he was trying to do the right thing it was 1976. The beginning of the rabid anti drunk driving campaign. Wrong place, wrong time. Prior to this traffic laws were about public safety . I don’t argue that drunk/impaired driving is not a safety issue. I argue that politics and revenue replacing common sense is wrong.

@MikeInNH‌

“So the guy who’s drunk driving his wheelchair down a busy street…stopping traffic, causing accidents…yup the cops should just let him go…And the show COPS…have shown that exact same thing more then once.”

How do you know the guy wasn’t “driving” on the sidewalk? That’s what I would have done in his case

Its been a few years now but I don’t remember him stopping traffic or causing a hazard, just wheeling his chair along the road after having a few too many beers. Of course someone obstructing traffic or causing a hazard whether walking or riding a horse, should be cited for disturbing the peace or something.

I was on jury duty at about 35, then on call at 62 so the next time my name would come up, I’d be over 65 and they don’t call up elderly 65 year olds. I don’t know why, I didn’t ask, since they were gracious enough to let me delay a month.

How do you know the guy wasn't "driving" on the sidewalk? That's what I would have done in his case

Because it was recorded from the cops police-cam.

@MikeInNH‌

thanks for the update

No, don’t have a cell phone, never felt the need, don’t want to be bothered if I am walking by the river, out to dinner or enjoying myself in any other way.

I know its hard but you can shut the things off when you don’t want to be disturbed. If you ever hit a raccoon on the highway that wrecks your radiator, you’ll be happy to have a cell phone. No one dares stop anymore.

Not only can they be turned off when you don’t want to be interrupted, but you can always silence the ringer temporarily in order to avoid being disturbed.

Like it or not, in this era a cellphone can be a virtual lifeline in certain situations. If cost is a major concern, you can get a phone and calling plan at minimal cost from Consumer Cellular:
https://www.consumercellular.com/