Have I entered the Twilight Zone?

While I’m trying to find a car to buy, my grandmother has allowed me to borrow her Dodge Dakota Sport because my car has met its end. Yesterday, at about 11:30 while everyone was in the house the Dakota Sport started running all by itself. I know that no one got in the car to hot wire it because I would have seen them. The keys to the Dakota were in my purse inside. My step son came out of his room and asked why the truck was running (he could hear it from his open window). I went outside and sure enough it had started and was running. I looked at the ignition and there was no key and the switch was still in the off position. I went inside to get the key, and I came back to the Dakota to turn it off. However, when I turn the key to crank (it made the normal sound a car makes when you try to crank it and it is already cranked) and I turned it back to the off position, but it would not turn off. My husband drove it around the block and parked and tried to turn it off with no success. He then popped the hood and disconnected the battery and turned the ignition swith (i guess to give it a negative charge), and it finally cut off.

What could have caused this?

Oh one other thing that is an interesting fact. One year ago yesterday at 11:30, my husband and I were at his grandfather’s funeral where my husband spoke his grandfather’s eulogy.

I suspect the vehicle has a remote starter installed in it. If not, then someone may be talking to you. The timing of this is pretty weird I must say.

it doesn’t have a remote starter. I’m not sure what year model it is but i believe it’s at least before 2003.

I’m suspecting a short in the ignition switch, or the start, and run, circuits. Solution: knowledgeable mechanic, wiring diagrams, multimeter.

There is short circuit in the electrical system, probably in the ignition switch itself which may or may not be directly behind the key lock in the steering column. Another place is the fuse block itself. The tightly packed mass of wires can short out easily as this location. The third spot is where the various wires and fuse links connect to the starter, where exhaust heat can melt them…

If there is a short in wiring, wouldn’t this happen more than once?

It could, but not necessarily. If there really is a short to ground which is significant enough to start the car, you should get it checked out pretty quickly. A lot of current passes through the ignition switch and if it overheats, it could start a fire.