Hatin' on the Yaris

I’ve decided against that. I must say, reading the consumer reviews (which, actually, I think I did) before buying sure wouldn’t have deterred me. Most are hysterical in their praise of this car, one even claiming to get 60 mpg! Got to be such monotonous reading that I was skimming the list, trying to find ONE negative review… I guess I’m weird…

The Ford Ka; now THERE’S a cute car…

another saying to think of:
“the cheapest person often spends the most”

hey

1. sell the car
  2. TEST DRIVE whatever you buy so your not hippity hoppin while you try to shove your sunglasses under the seat
  3. seek proffesional help.

If you don’t value your life. It’s barely bigger than a Smart. The Fiesta is a better choice. Although The Focus ST with the turbo 5 cylinder seems like a good compromise between size, power, and fuel mileage as well. Too bad we don’t get it over here.

Sunshade, dude; not sunGLASSES.

And I finally found a post from someone who couldn’t stand the Yaris and traded it in after six months for a Hyundai Accent. So, dude, it’s not just me…

I agree that the Fit is a good car, but the OP has particular likes and dislikes. She should give it a look, but at this stage I find it hard recommending she pay a new car premium again. If you look at the “Call Me Crazy” thread in the general discussion area, you will see that the ride was just one hated feature of her Yaris. She literally hates everything about her Yaris, and the Fit will be similarly furnished since it is also designed to be a relatively inexpensive entry level car for young people.

Edit: Oops, I see she already responded. I though I was at the end of this thread.

A few years ago, I bought a Scion xA (similar to the Yaris). I hated the ride because it felt so unstable at highway speeds, and I also thought that I could lower the car, add sway bars for stability, etc. However, I’m not sure I could have done much for the dead feeling of the steering wheel (which felt like a safety concern at highway speeds because you don’t get ANY road feedback). In the end, I bought a 2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata and I’m not looking back. If you don’t like it that much, I say you should look elsewhere for your driving pleasure.

Toyota/SCion/Lexus cars are appliances with lots of hype on the product and supposed reliability.

They appeal and work for some. I think expectations get so high because of hype on reliability/product people get disappointed.

The best thing is an extended test drive(few hours). If they won’t allow it move on.

They let me take a leftover Subaru WRX out for a few hours. They balked but I said if I leave with test driving a long time I will never come back. They let me take it and sold it.

I guess it is natural to attempt to justify–after the fact–your dissatisfaction with the Yaris by scouring the internet for something to justify your lack of due diligence prior to buying the car. Now, if you could channel that zeal into thoroughly researching a car and taking an extended test drive BEFORE you buy a car, you may be satisfied with your next car–or maybe not.

Something tells me the only pleasure the OP is gonna get is if she can get her old Swift back. Even then, it’s kinda hard to say…
Maybe if the OP can wait for the new Chinese deathtraps…er cars to come over to the states…

It sounds as if someone has removed your shocks, I have seen many cars on the road bouncing uncontrollably. Some do this for fun. They are morons.

Aftermarket suspensions are usually firmer than stock, and expensive. You need a trusted mechanic to examine what is what. Whoever told you to remove your springs and shocks is NOT that person.

I have driven a Yaris that was very solid and tight for such a small box. It is not a sports car, but it did not bounce much. It handled better than most big American cars of the past.

Otterhere;

JUST KEEP DRIVING IT AND YOU WILL LEARN TO LOVE IT!!

It will defintely love you back!

Here’s how I can help you
Part numbers and prices for your Yaris’ TRD equipment:

TRD Springs - PTR11-52070 - Around $160 to $220 according to Google
TRD Suspension - PTR04-52061 - Around $400 to $500 according to Google.

There is a Yaris forum you should look at to get other people’s impressions of how these parts changed the ride characteristics of their car. Do some research before blowing your money.

Also, you can do just one part or the other. The TRD springs can be used with the stock struts, or you can use the TRD struts with the stock springs.

Now, on to other things that concern all of us on here who have taken the time to answer your many subjects:

FIrst off, Why, when you originally asked us which cars to get, did you put your blinders on and ignore any of our suggestions for cars other than the Yaris? All it would have taken you would have been a little effort on your part in order to actually look at and test drive each one of the cars we recommended, and you probably would have found a car that you liked better than the Yaris.

So, after ignoring all the advice you received, and put on your Yaris colored shades, you went to your local shop, and test drove a Yaris Sedan around the block, and gave the keys back. Why would you test drive the Sedan version when the version you were interested in is the Hatchback? The two vehicles will never ride or perform the same, since they are different vehicles. On top of that, your sole test drive was around the block? You’re kidding, right?

I highly recommend that if you do decide to get rid of the Yaris, you actually test drive, and spend some time with, all the other vehicles in your category.

I spent the better part of the past 6 months or so randomly test driving different cars in the luxury sports car market. Cars like the Infiniti G37 coupe, the SLK300 and 350 roadsters, the Porsche Boxster and Boxster S, my girlfriend’s Chrysler Crossfire, and a bunch of others. If you’re interested in a vehicle, spend some time with it.

About a month ago, I wound up buying a very nice, single owner Porsche Boxster.
Clean condition, lots of papers from all its services, and only needed a couple items to be back to tip top condition.

There isn’t a single thing about that car that sticks out about that car that makes me dislike it.
Why? Because I spent enough time with it and all of its competition to know which car was the best. I surprised myself when I realized that I hated the Infiniti G37 coupe. I just did not like driving it at all.

Had you done the same, you probably would have ruled out the Yaris right from the start.

BC.

It’s all true. I have no defense!!! At this point, I’m in Learn to Love It Mode, trying to view such things as the polka-dotted seats as “quirky” rather than ugly.

Doesn’t sound like changing out the springs/shocks/struts is a plan; just an idea.

not sure how it would affect the Yaris but check into a torsion bar or a sway bar these tighten up the suspenion and the ride. May not even be available for this vehicle.

I’m 56 years old. My first car was a 1955 Olds 98. It had a massive V8 engine with hydraulic lifters. I bought it from my brother who paid $75 for it. That’s what I paid him. My mistake. But, I was young. Anyone who complains about how a Toyota Yaris rides or handles needs to drive an olds 98 vintage '55 sometime. Ah, the good old days. Four tires and a spare. All different makes. All bald. All bias ply. (What’s a radial?). You had to drive a car in those days!

You should have bought the Yaris Hatchback. We bought an '08 6 months ago and love it. It’s a very comfortable ride for a small car - not bouncy - and we’ve gotten 44 mph. Of course our last compact car was an '88 Ford Festiva which we drove for 15 years, “retiring” it at 349,000 miles (original engine). It was pretty bouncy by the end which may be why we find our Yaris to be so smooth.

The hatchback is what I own and I also get,(not have gotten) around 44 mpg. I have gotten 46 occasionally and my absolute worst was 37 on a long highway trip against a strong headwind.
I don’t know how people only get 32 or so with this car. Drive with the parking brake on? Accelerate towards each and every red light? (which is effectively the same as driving with your parking brake on)

In case the OP decides to trade in her hated Yaris, she could buy one of these new cars and walk away with lots of money left over:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7957671.stm

By the same token, I can’t imagine how you people get 44; coast along at 25 mph and NEVER brake or accelerate??? My best has been 37, and that was nearly all highway at 70 (you can’t go less than 70 on our interstates and live); I drive exactly as I drove – actually, more conservatively, since it’s so “bouncy” – when I was getting 40 mpg city with my Suzuki Swift. One good thing: Yaris DOES hold my kayak.