Hang gliders and car springs

Hi,
On a recent show, y’all agreed with the caller that weight less than a grandmother on top of the car would not have been the reason for the demise of his springs. I beg to differ. His hang glider was collapsed horizontally, but hangs out the back of his little (Honda?) like a collapsed peacock tail. This causes an amplified force from cross winds (he is going/coming from hang gliding locations). In addition, any torquing force will be increased in amplitude (think of the advantage of a lever). Since the suspension is given the task of absorbing these forces to allow the tires to remain in contact with the road, it is the first point of failure.
Sincerely,
Ray Sheppard
Indiana University

That’s why I make my mother in law ride, tied across the hood.

Besides this was a repeat show from a few years back.

Yosemite

Nope, @Ray from Indiana. The weight of ONE grandma even amplified by wind and leverage wouldn’t fail the springs. The car is designed to carry 3 or 4 grandmas in the seats and at least one and maybe 2 more in the trunk (luggage weight, no actual grandmas were stuffed in the trunk!) depending on the model of Honda.

If the weight were too great the car would be riding on the bump stops or at least slapping them like a lowered, Fast and Furious style, Fart-can, equipped car and believe me, THAT would be his complaint to Click and Clack, not broken springs!