Half shaft or (gulp) tranny?

Yes, it looks like the final drive sun and planets had a disagreement. The ring just suffered the consequences.

Thanks for the feedback, documentation, and images.

researcher

I bought the car with 84K on it, so I was surprised when the trans guy told me it had already been rebuilt once. So that’s another wild card…could something have been wrong with the previous rebuild that contributed to this failure? But if it’s like the trans guy guessed, and one wheel leaving the ground and spinning may have caused it, does that mean I could do the same thing making a turn where one tire was on ice, spun, and then hit pavement again? Yikes…

I would lean toward a problematic rebuild given that new information.

I’d be more inclined to suspect that something in the design or manufacture wasn’t robust enough to withstand a high stress spike situation. And you were the second owner to find out the hard way.

@moeparr wrote: “I need to haul more firewood”

You’re not alone.

Well, I see an Oak split in there, not sure what else. Maple or Ash?

Here’s a little bit of Hedge-apple. Haven’t got much of that so far, maybe 1/3 cord. Lotta Oak around here…

@circuitsmith‌

Is that a Matrix or a Vibe?

I’ve got a stash at my sister-in-law’s place. Red & white oak, ash, cherry, sycamore, many others.

It’s a Matrix.

I would stick one of those pieces of plywood behind my head. One short stop and - youch.

And we wonder why half-shafts and trannys fail…

"And we wonder why half-shafts and trannys fail… "

Hey, it’s soft Maple, it’s not all that heavy. :wink: Usually don’t load the trailer near that much, though…

In what state is that load considered 1/3 cord?

Rod Knox: "In what state is that load considered 1/3 cord? "

“1/3 cord” was referring to something else. That particular load is over 1/2 cord for sure. Usually I fill only to the sidewalls, or a little over if the wood is dry or light, under 1/2 cord. It’s over the towing weight of the car, but at low speeds for short distances. Like Ray and Tom said one time, “That’s not much more than a couple of mother-in-laws.” :smiley: