Grid charger for hybrid cars

Don’t know, but there’s a reason it was warranted for three years.

I see a grid charger as a “hand-on” gadget that you fiddle with every day to extend the life of the IMA battery. Do you like fiddling? If not, get the replacement and motor on for five more years.

A little economics:

30K miles at 60 mpg = 500 gal gas

For a subcompact at 40 mpg = 750 gal

Difference = 250 gal @ $2.50/gal = $625, so replacing the IMA battery every 30K is a losing proposition.

My current 2010 Insight (average 50 mpg) has been a delight to own, but it’ll probably be the last hybrid I buy.

I am going to get one for my Civic hybrid.

I joined car talk to chime in on this thread, btw.

I wouldn’t mind hearing what people think about assembling a new pack from newer battery technology and replacing the pack and controller (i remember hearing about these upgrades to make your hybrid a “plug-in hybrid” but never found anyone near me doing it). Since that scenario is beyond my knowledge, and I know the replacement battery packs for 07 Civic Hybrids are reconditioned recovered packs, the grid charger is all I got.

Also, just for efficiency discussion sake… when my bat would normally go to full charge I’d get 30-40mpg for 10 mile trip, after IMA issues, the auto stop won’t engage and the engine continues to run & recharge the battery, and I get 17-27mpg or worse in the same 10 mile commute, same weather and traffic. Hence the class action suit against Honda by 2007-2008 Civic hybrid owners, and the resulting $500 battery pack, and now same old problems.

Thanks to Preston for informing the group and I. Of course, hypermiling guys can get 40-50mpg+ with pure gas cars, and the hybrids can’t seem to ever match them, but I don’t hypermile, I learned to drive mad max style in NYC and have a heavy foot. I want a Chevy bolt or volt next, although I fear I won’t ever need gas (10 mile commute) and rot out the internal combustion system.

Unless you can confirm that the “upgrade” is specifically designed for your application I wouldn’t risk it. The battery technologies used in hybrids are complicated and can be extremely unsafe if not done right, For one thing, temperature suppression is required so that if dendrites form and short out a single cell, it doesn’t “take down” its neighbors and explode like a nuclear bomb. The energy density in a lithium-ion cell is extreme, and messing with the technology can literally burn you.

If the upgrade is designed for your vehicle AND you plan on having it installed by a qualified facility, go for it. Although I have to wonder if the payback time is realistic.