Good New/Used Car Bets

Dagosa, Just To Let You Know . . .

. . .Not all of us agree with you. I can only speak for myself, though. I have received unbelievably (As in, IT DOESN"T GET ANY BETTER!) good service and economy from GM and Chrysler products and continue to do so. Here’s another part of this story. I don’t even have any Asian or other foreign dealers near me and you seldom see them on the road here unless somebody’s “passing through” or nuts enough to drive any car that has limited parts and service availability. The dealers are a 4-5 hour round trip away. I have parts (new and used) and service available for my cars, up the wah-zu! Oh! and I forgot, they are available at very reasonble cost, if needed.

I don’t fault anybody who likes Toyota / Honda. They aren’t meant for me. I do have an old Honda 750 4 cyl. in the back of the garage, however.

I couldn’t agree with you more…I’d have a Ford (and have) when the nearest and most reliable dealership was a Ford. That does not negate that when I buy a Toyota truck, I get a better return trade in time with fewer repairs than Fords I’ve owned .
MPAVictoria dismisses advice of many here, with a restriction of just Fords or GMs regardless of your good points not because of them. That’s fine…it’s their…that’s my point, it’s OK.
BTW, “Asian dealers” employ Americans, make many cars in America, designed by Americans and out of 70%+ American parts. I would argue they contribute just as much to the economy as does Mexican/Canadian/European/Chinese products made by Ford and GM in addition to those they make in America.
As far as using GM/Ford (not Toyotas), we plow predominantly around here with leased GM (Isusu powered) diesel trucks because the service we get from dealer and performance of vehicle for it’s intended purpose.
Again, to your good points.
IMO, all cars are poor investments until they become antiques.

Thanks for your blessing dagosa!
Cheers
MPAVictoria

In the price range you are looking, there is also the Hyundai Elantra, a very good looking car, and the basic Sonata, a highly rated car as well. You owe it to yourself to actually drive one of those.

I agree that the “mousefuzz” interior of the Corolla may not set your heart on fire. My son’s Mazda 3, on the other hand, is a very “with it” car and can pass for a poor man’s 3 Series BMW.

Until you have actually driven some of the cars we suggest, there is really no point in making any further posts. If you visit the children’s book section in your local library, take out “Green Eggs and Ham” by Dr. Seuss. After reading it you will have a more logical approach to chosing cars.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response friend! I have actually driven, or have ridden in, every car I mentioned in my above post: Corollas, civics, imprezas, mazda 3s (which I really liked) and so on. Some of these are quite good cars, but not just for me. Still, despite the snark, thanks for taking the time to respond.
MPAVictoria

I would stay away from the Ford Taurus. My ex had a Ford Taurus and it was always breaking down - so he had to borrow my truck all the time, there is nothing I have heard about more recent models that would make me think that things have improved. Have you read Lemon-Aid by Edmonston? If I had your money to spend I would surely buy a Honda or Toyota.

You already HAVE a used car, and you pretty much know it. I would run it into the ground before replacing it.

Expect new car prices to drop over net months, and used cars to go UP, as demand increases.

Personally, you can buy a Ford FOCUS brand new for less than a used “nicer car”, and the Focus will be far more advanced technologically, merely because it is newer, and has more of what used to be options as standard equipment.

Hyndai with a 10 year powertrain warranty… worth a look… hard to beat that, if the warranty is 100% and not full of holes.

The repair bills for a luxury car should scare you. Good for you for thinking of these issues ahead of time.