Good Article on Electric Vehicles

“free” as in italics, as in you still have to make the investment, hydro, wind etc and the eventually cheaper solar collectors. Then Electricity becomes free except for maintenance cost for many parts of the country. Already in the sunbelt, it will be cost effective to put standard available roof collectors to store charge at home, then charge vehicle at night. The key is to localize power production which is another scam buster as power companies want everything from central source instead of localized production hooked to a main grid. If local production is sufficient, you get credit and your power is free. With initial investments through necessary subsidies, many communities could be free of energy dependence and actual energy producers, all public owned. It WILL happen. That’s another political and not engineering solution. Tidal power is sufficient for many coastal communities if the will were there, and be actual positive producers on the main grid for everyone else.

I still disagree. From the article:

"Despite great technological strides and research dollars spent on electric as well as hydrogen fuel cell, hybrid and natural gas vehicles, none of them has come close to toppling the hegemony of the gasoline-powered engine. Some critics question the feasibility of the alternative-fuel vehicles, citing their high costs and dependence on energy sources that have their own negative environmental tradeoffs.

And auto manufacturers have modest goals for the electric cars going on the market, with sales targets in the tens of thousands of cars per year. Even with the success of the Toyota Prius, hybrids ? whose electric motors and batteries are recharged and complemented by gasoline motors ? represent less than 3 percent of the market."

and…

“In the mid-1990s, General Motors produced an electric car, the EV1, whose lead acid battery weighed 1,000 pounds. (The Chevrolet Volt uses a lithium ion battery weighing 400 pounds.) But the EV1 was pulled off the market because it was too costly to produce ? to the dismay of passionate users who had leased the vehicle.”

then here was…

“But for many consumers, electric vehicles are still too pricey.”

and don’t forget…

“And some have questioned the extent of the environmental benefits of electric vehicles. In its annual rankings of “green” vehicles, the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy rated the Volt 13th in environmental impact because it is heavy and incorporates a gasoline motor. A natural gas-powered Honda Civic and the all-electric Nissan Leaf came in first and second, respectively. Hybrids and highly efficient gasoline-powered cars rounded out the list.”

There were a couple more negative points, but I’m tired of cut and paste.

“Electricity has the Potential to be “free” if we had the will to make it happen.”

I disagree. You will pay for it one way or another. These charging stations might be coin operated (or credit cards) like many car washes and tire air stations. They could be free at use, but included in the cost of parking at the garage that installed them. You might have charging stations with no apparent fees attached, but it will cost you more in the kW-H fee you pay for your home electricity. Maybe your local government will provide them on public streets, but your taxes will increase or other services will decrease to make it happen.

But no matter what, you’re gonna pay. Me, too.

Hey, dagosa! You hid your comments on the next page! I suppose that in the very long run you have a point, but solar electric power generated at home is still very expensive. My neighbor installed a system, and even with government subsidies and purchase of his excess electricity (by the local utility), it will take well over 10 years to pay off.

You have to understand…that the BIGGEST reason the Tesla is so high…is because each car is hand built…and there are very few of them produced. If the manufacturing plant existed today that could build a Tesla like a Honda Civic…the price would drop about 90%. Most manufacturers build prototypes (cars of the future) that eventually turn in to production cars. Many of the prototypes cost hundreds of thousands of dollars just to build ONE…Then when put into production they’re selling for $25k.

That’s why I don’t understand all this fuss about electric vehicles. Once you learn to siphon, you never have to pay for gas again (wait for sarcasm to sink in).

"These charging stations might be coin operated (or credit cards) like many car washes and tire air stations. "

That’s exactly right. The difference is the rates would be much more stabil and private enterprising individuals would all be able to compete in the production of electricity.
Localized production of electricity in an infinite number of ways does not require the regulation that petro products has.

"Hey, dagosa! You hid your comments on the next page!"
Ahh that’s a function of the web site…not my intent. Your neighbor is doing it on a much smaller scale than communities are doing.

I don’t under stand the reluctance of those who would rather pay at the pump on a fuel whose production is limited to few that electrical energy whose production sources are unlimited ? Spoken like true capitalists. (waiting for the sarcasm to sink in)

“Ahh that’s a function of the web site…not my intent.”

I know. I’m just having a little fun. The response was not as pertinent after reading yours. Since I already posted it, I wanted to acknowledge that.

We ALL subsidize petroleum and petrol-powered vehicles: huge tax breaks for oil companies. NINETY BILLION DOLLARS for the war in Iraq, and on and on. Realistically, the tax breaks for electrics are infinitesimal compared to the BILLIONS the US government has give to Shell and Exxon over the last 50 years.

Ever heard of EnVision Motor Company? SUV’s cars and pick-up trucks.100% electric

There is alot more happening when it comes to new products and car manufacturers than most people realize.

Car companies from China and India will produce vehicles much cheaper than Tesla. Tesla is teaming up with Toyota, so everything is subject to change.

You’re right. In spite of the high gas prices, the car offerings may be so plentiful (RAV4 Tesla hybrid by 2012 and other real EVs) this may be the best time not to buy till the dust settles, which it may never. We may be depending upon those third world laborers to strike a match for affordability in EVs with GM and others.

I agree, but that doesn’t address the question of why Toyota and GM don’t have inexpensive, under 25k EVsnout there now with 100 mile ranges. The plug in Prius is waiting in the wings with ranges that will be doled out year by year as the competitive need arises. All this done to maintain the profitability. I keep getting gripe for The EV being the maintenance downfall of the major players, but it’s their words from relatives in management positions at local dealerships that have lead me to this conclusion. That, and the prices they charge for parts and service.

“I agree, but that doesn’t address the question of why Toyota and GM don’t have inexpensive, under 25k EVsnout there now with 100 mile ranges.”

A 100 mile range is only possible with more batteries. That means higher initial cost and greater weight. GM’s trade study showed them that the Volt is a good combination of cost and range. The cost is high because they need to recover the nonrecurring costs (engineering), and they are unwilling (unable?) to subsidize the cost with the sales of other vehicles. Toyota is in a different situation, since they have had over 10 years to recover the initial engineering costs, and appear willing to absorb some of those costs in the sales of their other vehicles.

Electric cars is nice concept. But, still have few disadvantage in electric cars like which is limit of driving distance because its running on batteries.