GMC Bad Fuel Injectors?

shouldn’t this be covered under the 5 year 100000 mile warranty?

A look at the GM warranty shows they covered their bases…

Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line) as well as the Engine/ Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming

good question,Kriley

As the injector was stuck open an oil change is required

The OP said open circuit, which means no electric current goes through, the injector stays mechanically closed and never injects fuel.

The invoice was posted on tuesday, offering more information than the first posting.

$1200 was the total charge, but that was for more than simply replacing the injector I presume. I’ve replaced an injector on a late 70’s VW Rabbit and it took maybe 1/2 hour. A new injector at the time was less than $100 from VW. But the injectors on the VW Rabbit were mechancially independent from each other. You could pull one out and leave the others in no problem. Replacing one had no effect on the others in other words. If your car required the fuel rail be loosened and all the injectors be removed to replace the seals/o-rings, then the labor hours would pile up rather fast. I can imagine it could take 4 hours or more to do all that. And, along with the various parts required, plus the oil change required because the injector was stuck open … and a few other misc things they did, the hours all add up … I can see it totalling to close to $1200.

So I don’t think this bill is completely unreasonable. I guess you can learn from it though. When purchasing a car, be inquisative about the design of the car and what other’s experience has been with repair frequency and cost. What will minor repairs entail? Consumer Reports for one has this kind of information.

As Nevada pointed out earlier (and I had admittedly overlooked) this is a direct injection engine and takes more work to replace an injector than the '70s Rabbit. The biggest thing that bothered me was that there were things on the invoice that didn;t seem right, as I outlined in my earlier post.

Unfortunately, it’s hard to foresee things like a random injector failure. And I truely consider this to be one. They make millions of these things, and occasionally one is going to fail prematurely. Direct injection has a long history with diesels and I personally consider it a proven-reliable technology.

Geiorge, I agree that seeking out Consumer Reports and other consumer magazines is really the best way to enhance one’s odds of getting a reliable car. Nothing is perfect, but it’s truely a game of “playing the odds”.

not to be on the dealer side but the 100,000mile 5 year warranty only covers oiled parts i dont think the injector is covered on that list i did not see the invoice dont know what the other charges were but it sounds in line for a rual small town in TN