GM electric Cars

Guess I won’t have one of those in my garage?

That was my thought, we’re talking HUGE currents. Our neighborhood infrastructure isn’t set up for that.

350 kW at 480 volts 3 phase is 240 amps per phase. That requires 0000 Cu wire, and a huge drop from the power company to handle that.

In fact, they would probably opt for something like 6 kV, which is about 20 amps per phase, much thinner wire.

But I question the practicality of this power level. It has to be converted to DC, and at 300 volts that is over 1000 amps. The very thick and heavy copper wires needed to carry that current are not very practical.

1 Like

John Gorham mentioned Neighborhood vehicles. I guess that is the same thing as LSV (low speed vehicles that are electric). Here in Oklahoma a few years back the state was offering tax incentives on these upscale golf carts. People were finding after they bought them they could only go on roads with speed limits of 40 mph or less. For a while you could see those things on Craigslist dirt cheap because they had to be tagged and insured.

Now if I could have one that would do 50 mph so I could use the highway for 6 miles to get to town and the grocery store I would have one.

Stuff moss between the logs. It fills the holes and is also good insulation.

If you just leave the mice alone they will build nests and chink up all the gaps.And that’s a real plus for the tree huggers.

It doesn’t need to be converted to DC until it’s inside the car’s electronics package.

Still, will an average person be able to handle this bulky cable and connector?

Not many people need fast charging of this capacity at home, then you have a few hours to wait. It’s for over the road trips where waiting is far more problematic. The issue I see is has anyone shown that a battery pack can accept this charge rate and survive a normal life? Heat happens, When I rapid charge my LiON packs, they need to cool before they are used for preserving their lifespan. It’s not like you’re dumping a bucket of electrons into a tank… :wink:

2 Likes

Some of the high-power chargers are described as “DC”. No idea how that all works.