Getting rid of old parts

I recently changed the halfshafts in my 1996 Maxima. The job went fairly well.

I put new axles in, which meant I didn’t trade in the old ones. So now I have old axles to get rid of.

What’s the best way to get rid of parts like this? I also have a catalytic converter from a Ford Escape I want to dispose of.

I guess I could throw both in the recycling bin, but I’d consider that to be pretty irresponsible.

Take them to the scrap yard. They’ll give you money for the cat for sure, and probably take the axle for free.

Scrap metal, or an “auto dismantler”?

If the new axles were remanufactured there should a core charge for the old axles. If so return the old axles for a refund of the core charge.

Tester

Modern federal regulations no longer allow old fashioned “dumps”. Your local town “recycling yard” (dump) should have an attendant there that can tell you where to put the various components for proper recycling and/or disposal.

Tester’s right, though. You may want to check at the parts store and see if you have a “core charge” coming back to you.

Yep take them to your local auto wrecking yard. That’s what they do is recycle cars and parts. The cat has precious metals in it so you might even get something for it.

Ditto on checking your receipt for your halfshafts to see if you have core charges due to you. As far as the converter goes, if the monolith is still in there, the right buyer will give you good money for it. Expect anywhere from $40-100 for the converter for the precious metals inside it (if it’s OE). I got $180 a few years ago for an OE Mustang GT H-pipe some kid gave me (he installed an off-road H-pipe with no cats). I tried to explain to him what he was giving me, but he still didn’t want to keep it for himself. Oh well, his loss, my gain. Hint: if the converter assembly has any bends in the pipes, take a Sawzall and cut the pipes off of it. If the buyer can see the inside of the converter, they will pay you more for it.

I guess I could throw both in the recycling bin, but I’d consider that to be pretty irresponsible…

Incorrect, there is nothing irresponsible about recycling. To recycle is to reuse.
Take them to the…

1. salvage yard, no money for you but they can scrap them.
  2. metal recycler, pays you
  3. auto parts store, no money for you but they can turn them in for rebuilding.

The irresponsible thing would be to take them to a local dumpster and when no one’s looking put them in.

Axles ? Clean Them Up, Attach A Base, Cord, Socket, And Shade . . . Voilà !
Congratulations, You’ve Got A Pair Of FWD Nissan Maxima Table Lamps !

CSA

1. Half-shafts: (mostly) steel items such as this qualify as (lower grade) scrap steel, which I got $11/100# the last time I dropped some off. How much do they weigh, combined?
  2. Cat: Generally contains Platinum or other precious metals in small amounts. End result, you WILL get money for 'em. (In fact, there is a fair amount of cat. converter theft for this very reason.)

Half-shafts have core value far beyond scrap value. Tag them as to what they are and any parts store will be happy to get them. Since you paid no “core charge” by buying new axles, (ouch!) don’t expect any cash back, but at least you know they WILL be rebuilt and recycled…

Don’t expect much for your single converter…While they do contain some platinum, recovering it is an expensive process that eats up most of the value the part contains…

@ piter_devries The irresponsible thing would be to take them to a local dumpster and when no one’s looking put them in…

Whats irresponsible about throwing something in a trash recepticle? I never sneak around and wait until nobody is looking before throwing something in a trash can.

"I never sneak around and wait until nobody is looking before throwing something in a trash can. "

For those who don’t understand the distinction between dumpsters and trashcans I have attached an image. Dumpster renters/owners tend to be territorial about them and you would be well advised to “sneak around and wait until nobody is looking” before disposing of auto parts in one, lest you encounter legal problems.

For those who don’t understand the distinction between dumpsters and trashcans I have attached an image. …

Oh great, another post from a nitpicker who takes things way to literally. Pete, nothing inappropriate was meant by my previous comment. I had no way of knowing you meant a dumpster that was not part of that persons territory. I simply thought you meant throwing away something that could be recycled.

I ended up taking the parts to a local repair shop, with their permission. It was six discs, the used cat, and the Maxima halfshafts.

Just the junk that I accumulate at home cashes in for $75 or more every few months. A catalytic converter should scrap for $40 or more. A neighbor’s son does janitorial work to support himself in college and specializes in bars. He says the beer cans he hauls out are cashed in for hundreds every month. He might take a cut in pay when he graduates and gets a “real” job.