Getting by on a technicality is becoming quite trendy

Mostly it’s the way they accelerate towards each and every red light.

In that case, I submit that aggressive driving knows no political affiliation. It’s a part of being human, or in this case, a driving dog.

I absolutely agree with you

An extremely high percentage of the time somebody is doing something dangerous, reckless or just plain rude, it’s somebody driving a Prius :smirk_cat:

Aggressive driving certainly does NOT know any political affiliation

Or age, gender, etc.

At the local farmer’s market of all places, there was an extremely belligerent and dangerous driver, who was causing quite an uproar. It was an older lady :older_woman:

Aggression is equal opportunity :facepunch:

1 Like

My nomination for the “not clear on the concept” award goes to the driver of a Chevy Suburban which had every environmental activist bumper sticker known plastered on it driving south on I-35 weaving through traffic, tailgating, accelerating and braking constantly to get past traffic while going at least 20 mph over the speed limit.

4 Likes

shadofax is probably right about the Alaskan garbage dumping. I was told this by a tour guide on a land excursion in Alaska and have believed it ever since. When shadofax challenged me on it I went searching for conformation to refute his doubts. I have been unable to find any. I guess I suffer from the tendency to believe things that fir what I already think.
This has made me a little more careful, I checked out the fact that young Swiss in National Service are still required to keep their weapons at home before I posted it. It was very comforting when traveling by train in Switzerland to see the young guards getting on and off the trains.

1 Like

I think I have a new candidate for the “not clear on the concept” award.

Arnold, maybe if you traded in your Bentley and Hummer H1 for a moped, I would take you more seriously. Also, you might consider flying commercial instead of in a private Gulfstream III jet.

I guess he’s one of the crowd who thinks we can make climate change go away simply by marching on Washington DC and chanting “hey hey ho ho, climate change has got to go”.

Just when I thought this political discussion had died a well-deserved death and faded into the background…

3 Likes

There are plenty of places to discuss your politics. This isn’t one of them. Stop it.

1 Like

It’s not about which party is in office, it’s about us walking the walk. People who talk the talk are a dime a dozen, those who walk the walk are few and far between.
Riding your bike to work instead of driving your car saves energy.
Circumnavigating the USA on a bicycle is a publicity stunt that ends up using energy if you have a support vehicle trailing you.

You’ll be happy to know that I have no additional comment except there are nuts on both sides of the aisle. Gotta be careful though, are there any industries that the folks running them couldn’t in some far fetched reasoning be accused and tried for murder? I think maybe there has been some oxygen deprivation though on Arnold’s part.

Back when, we had a bicycle fad at work too. Guys would ride their bikes five miles to work instead of driving or taking the bus. But then they insisted on a shower before work. And of course we had to expand the meager shower facilities to accommodate. With all the hot water used and construction costs, I’m not sure anyone saved much, but it made the bikers feel good.

We in the US do seem severely prone to trends and fads @bing. How could a woman not have several cold shoulder outfits and who can have a conversation and not use the phrase “that being said?” But then being ‘trendy’ is the subject of this thread. And the nation’s mass marketers watch closely for any change in the wind to take advantage of it. But taking the best advantage of it requires foreseeing the decline in a trend and bailing out without having a pipeline full of station wagons. Will the trend toward autonomous cars really take hold across all segments of the auto market? The advancing battery technology makes electrics look like lasting trend though.

I opened this thread on the trucking industry’s efforts to skirt EPA regulations by dropping rebuilt drive trains in new chassis cabs and registering them based on the engine’s date of manufacture. How much influence does the EPA have on style and mechanics of trending models? How much influence did the federal subsidies on electric cars have on their rising trendiness?

And about that heat, growing up in Mississippi without AC in the house or cars until I was nearly grown made dealing with the heat a matter of fact proposition. For years I slept on a screened in porch on hot summer nights. And when driving I learned to consider which route had the best shade and often passed up open parking slots in front of my destination and walked a block or more from a shady spot to wherever I was going. I do recall bailing hay and laying it up in a loft in early September when the temperature was near 100* in the field loading the truck but in the loft under the tin roof it was really hot. These days no one will do that kind of labor so everyone uses round bailers and hauls them with a tractor.

Getting by on a technicality has been trendy ever since layers were created.

Whether Arnold walks the walk won’t make a difference to global climate change, so what you’re really upset about is that Arnold isn’t virtue-signaling. At this point global climate change is irreversible, whether you believe it is caused by man-made carbon emissions or you think it’s a natural phenomenon.

His H1 is now all electric.

That’s wonderful, but it’s still an enormous energy guzzler. Only a tiny fraction of our electric power originates from renewable resources and we are rapidly running out of “not my back yard” where more wind turbines can be erected as evidenced by the “no wind turbines” signs I saw while driving to Wichita Falls last weekend.

Does Arnold still live in California? If he does, I don’t think he’ll be driving his electric Hummer across the country, so this chart would apply:

Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration, Electric Power Monthly, February

Well that would fit since he’s mainly 49% natural gas anyway. Moonbeam has got him beat though.

Methane is 75% carbon by weight. All the hydro plants we will ever have already exist, there’s no way environmentalists will allow another river to be dammed up, in fact, close to where I live there are even yard signs in the neighborhood protesting the proposed addition of a hydro plant to a dam and lake that already exists. No one however is wanting the lake to be returned back to a wild river, they moved there because of the lake. Go figure!
The point is that electric cars are not green, they may be greener than gasoline cars, and in regions where electric cars are essentially coal powered cars, may actually be less green than conventional cars.
I still maintain that my 70 mpg motorcycle is greener than the Teslas I see on the streets. In addition to using little fuel, only 370 pounds of “stuff” had to be mined, smelted, and manufactured in order to build it, and at the end of its life cycle, only 370 pounds of stuff will need to be disposed of or recycled.

If your electric power isn’t green, your electric car isn’t green.

Debating what’s “green” seems like a petty argument to begin with, but I’m wondering if your 70 MPG motorcycle has a catalytic converter. It probably uses less fuel than Arnold’s electric Hummer, but the amount of pollution it puts out in an hour could easily exceed the amount of pollution put out by my 30 MPG Honda Civic in a month if your motorcycle doesn’t have a catalytic converter.

Attempting to quantify a virtue-signaling buzzword like “green” seems like wasted time we could each be spending doing something much more enjoyable, like riding a motorcycle.

Who is Moonbeam? Is he an internet troll who spends his days disparaging public figures he doesn’t like?

1 Like