Get ready

@“common sense answer” We did not get a call for every listing, but as juniors in high school we must have undercut someone, we even created binders for the finer houses with swimming pools horse barns etc. My bud and I both had dark rooms , did our own work then went to college as photography majors, he picked commercial photography, now a noted photographer for high end yachts, I picked fine arts photography and pissed off my teacher (and department head) by submitting photos I had done previously in my portfolio to advance to the next class. obviously you have not learned anything he said, I thought they were good based on what I had learned.

Now there were people in that class that had no clue, and sure I pissed him off as the class got to vote on which photos were displayed as current work for the class in the hallway, 1st year b$w class, I picked whatever picture he graded worst and put it up in the front of the class as student selection was what went in the display case. No competition vs fuzzy focus, spots from developing, no contrast, no real impact as a photograph etc. Every week my worst graded picture by him was in the display case.
My pride got the best of me and did not wnat to retake the class with him as the teacher, so changed majors.

So Cars from China may be fine in the future, but short term, give them time I say.

Db, that was exactly what Bricklin’s old car looked like… but I was actually referring to a much later initiative of his to import Chery automobiles.

Second, there is almost no Judeo-Christian tradition in China, and as a result, the moral concepts in that country are not the same as in South Korea, where many people are Christians.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? You think that because you have a Judeo-Christian background you have MORALS? The list of MORAL atrocities in this country by Judeo-Christian businesses is too long to list. Just because you may have been BORN into a Judeo-Christian country…doesn’t mean you follow it’s values.

Christ almighty irregardless in the world there are many moral, kind, conscientious, altruistic giving people, that may happen to work at a car factory, the republicans are giving christians as bad name a derision of christian values as isis is giving muslims a bad name and derision of muslem values. In both faiths, forgiveness, charity, and helping are tenets ignored by isis and the republicans.

@Barkydog , the real shame is so many working class people are anti-Union. People are like crabs. When you go crabbing you don’t have to put a lid on the bucket you throw the crabs in because if any of the crabs try to crawl out, the rest of them will pull him back down. So if you have 2 people doing similar work, one is Union with decent pay, benefits, pension and the other is barely ekeing out a living, the second person will actively root for the first one to lose his/her job because “he’s overpaid and lazy” instead of trying to get him/herself a Union and pull him/herself UP to the level of the first person. And the CEO sees this and laughs himself almost into a coma.

@jtsanders , I sure hope you’re right, but it doesn’t seem like it. Seems like the big factories that employ 500 - 1000+ people close, and the factories that open are little mom & pop operations employing 5 - 15 people.

@GeorgeSanJose , I believe you’re right. I don’t remember exactly where, but I distinctly remember reading a newspaper article a few years back where Ford stated they wanted to double the amount of parts they were sourcing from China.

Last thought, maybe I’m just cynical as I get older, but it sure seem like an awful lot of con artists and thieves hide behind Jesus. Whenever I see a local business with that “Jesus Fish” on the building, or see (usually a local garage or used car dealership) advertise itself as being “Christian Family Owned”, that’s a BIG RED FLAG for me. Yeah, I guess I"m a cynical old man, but I’m just sayin’. . .

How to keep it car related, but all this discussion reminds me of this:

A CEO, a Tea Party member and public employee sit at a table, with 12 cookies on a plate. The CEO grabs 11 cookies and tells the Tea Party member, “You better watch him. He wants your cookie.”

The CEO took 11 out of 12 cookies. This isn’t a question of what’s fair. The CEO has the economic power to take 11 cookies, and he does.

I found a conservative blog that explained this point of view. The CEO deserved 11 cookies. Without the CEO, the 12 cookies would never have been baked. No one would have anything without the CEO. Not only did the CEO deserve 11 of the 12 cookies, but if we somehow had 15 cookies, the CEO would deserve 14. If the CEO made 24 cookies in China, he should get 23. The Tea Party member and the public employee should thank the CEO for their one cookie.

The conservative blogger acknowledged that his interpretation wasn’t funny.

Stolen from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stan-sorscher/wealth-inequality_b_1656698.html

The thing that mystifies me is the thought short term gain is all that counts.

If this were to be a Chinese designed and engineered car I’d never consider it as they have yet to show they know how to do those things. But this is a GM model being made in China, probably not a whole lot different from models they make and sell various places in the world. Most of the major automakers make cars in China. It’s one of the biggest markets for all kinds of vehicles, including luxury vehicles like BMW - some of them made in China. I don’t have a great deal of confidence this will be great because GM of late hasn’t exactly been on a roll. Most of their recent cars have been very ho-hum and not very well made, including cars made in several countries. Buick had historically been a very well respected luxury car in China, going all the way back to well before WWII. Chinese sales are why Buick is still with us and Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Saturn are not. My understanding is that Buick sales have softened in China in recent years, which is why GM has extra production capacity to make this model for us.

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a Chinese designed and built car IF the price were cheap enough and there was enough empirical evidence around to give me confidence in its reliability and longevity. I bought my first Toyota when they were still being criticized as junk, and I discovered what true quality is. I realized when I bought it that the people criticizing Toyota didn’t own one, and the people that did own one never seemed to have to get them fixed… and weren’t going back for recall after recall or warranty repair after warranty repair.

@“Ed Frugal”

“the real shame is so many working class people are anti-Union. People are like crabs. When you go crabbing you don’t have to put a lid on the bucket you throw the crabs in because if any of the crabs try to crawl out, the rest of them will pull him back down. So if you have 2 people doing similar work, one is Union with decent pay, benefits, pension and the other is barely ekeing out a living, the second person will actively root for the first one to lose his/her job because “he’s overpaid and lazy” instead of trying to get him/herself a Union and pull him/herself UP to the level of the first person”

I agree wholeheartedly with you, and I personally know what you’re talking about, because I’m currently a civil service union fleet mechanic . . . the most overpaid, most incompetent, lowest standard, laziest type of worker, according to some people . . . but before that, I worked as a mechanic for a dealer. The exact opposite of my current jobs, in so many ways

I did observe exactly what you’re saying. People in the private sector were LOUDLY bad-mouthing unions. They were saying they take your money, don’t do anything, and union workers are lazy, can’t get fired, don’t have to be accountable, are overpaid, the benefits are too good, it’s not fair, etc.

I did my own research, and concluded that is the type of job I should actively try to get. Guess what happened . . . it took me YEARS to get that union job I currently have. Tests were only held every few years, and hundreds of guys would show up, to compete for a few jobs. The first few times, I either didn’t score high enough, or the eligibility list expired, before they called me. It’s not as if any darn loser can walk up and get a job. The bottom line . . . all those times I didn’t get in, I just wasn’t good enough. I gained experience at my job, studied, etc., and when I was good enough, I passed the test with a good score, and was hired.

Oh, I thought of something else. Passing the test isn’t the only thing. There’s a panel interview. There were some guys that did well on the test, only to somehow make a poor impression during the interview. They didn’t get in.

The whiners should do their own research, and they’ll conclude that the jobs aren’t just handed out. You have to earn the job, and when they don’t get in the first time, STFU

And the whiners should come and see my and my colleagues work. They won’t see any slackers, not in my shop, anyways.

In my opinion, many of the whiners just take it at face value that organized must be a bad thing, because “everybody” says so. Yet only a few are smart enough to do their own homework

I’ll say something else . . . when I was at the dealer, the colleagues that weren’t bad-mouthing unions jobs, were usually the ones that were studying, paying attention, and actively trying to get those kinds of jobs for themselves.

If you want something better for yourself, you have to work for it

Whining about somebody else’s job isn’t going to get you more money and benefits

As you said, whining can only result in that other person maybe losing his benefits, and maybe even his job.

Then when that happens, the whiner won’t have anything to show for it. He won’t have a fatter paycheck, better benefits, etc. You’re right . . . some people are only happy when they’re bringing somebody else down

When I finally did get my current job, some of my colleagues quietly told me that they’re amazed that I had such willpower, to not give up and keep trying to get that other job, even if it took years, which it did

Enough ranting

Maybe somebody will flag me as troll, off-topic, spam, etc. :smiley:

I don’t think you can paint everyone and everything with the same broad brush. There are hard-working, conscientious workers in unions and private shops alike, and there are slackers and losers in both as well. There are many valid reasons for the existence of unions, and there are many reasons that unions have created the mass exodus of manufacturing jobs to other countries.

One good thing about unions is they allowed a factory worker with no education, skills, or investment in himself to support and raise a family–quite well–by working on an auto assembly line. One bad thing about unions is they allowed a factory worker with no education, skills, or investment in himself to support and raise a family–quite well–by working on an auto assembly line.

I was once at a bbq, met a guy who was bragging about what a great job he has. “I even make them pay me to pee.” Umm, what? “If I’m on my lunch break and I have to pee, I hold it. I’ll wait until I clock back in and then walk across the compound to use the can. I’m not peeing on my own time.”

Now I’m sure that this fellow had some demonstrable skill that made him appropriate for the job he had, but I tell you that attitude alone would be enough for me to get rid of this guy if he worked for me.

The problem is guys like this drift toward union jobs because they just want to skate. And once they’re in, you can’t get rid of them.

@asemaster

I’ve never bragged about my jobs or benefits to anybody

I’ve answered questions, but I’ve never bragged

"the real shame is so many working class people are anti-Union

Unions still have a place…but don’t think that unions haven’t done their share of destroying our economy.

Back in the 60’s and 70’s the steel industry wanted to upgrade their equipment to stay competitive…the powerful steel union saw this as job cutting (which it was)…and so they went on strike and prevented it. 10-15 years later…when steel plants started to close and THOUSANDS of union steel workers were getting laid off monthly they went begging back to the owners to upgrade so they could save the few jobs left. By this time it was too late.

This one I know first hand because I had several relatives working there at the time…Back in the 70’s all GE televisions were made in Liverpool (town just outside Syracuse). There were several unions who were trying to flex their muscle to see who was the strongest union. So one month the sheet metal union went on strike…the next month…the electricians union went on strike…then another union the following month…In a 4 month span…GE had a total of 5 work days… So GE sut the plant down and laid everyone off and moved production to Kentucky with NO UNION. Over 10 thousand people lost their job.

I’m n ot against unions…but in many areas I don’t see the need. Here in NH we have a small grocery chain called Market Basket. Non-Union…yet their employees are paid HIGHER then places lie Shaws (which has unions). And for some reason Market Basket has posted a higher profit while at the same time have lower prices. They hire MORE employees…we drive over 5 miles past a Shaws to shop at the consumer friendly Market Basket.

@db4690
I’ve never bragged about my jobs or benefits to anybody

I’ve answered questions, but I’ve never bragge

No, you haven’t. Because you’re a man of character and integrity. I doubt you would stand at a bbq and tell everyone how great you are at screwing people and getting paid to take a leak. Which, unfortunately, is what many unions became and had led in part to our economic decline.

Unions originally evolved as workers banded together to stand against unscrupulous and unfair managers. Once they became able to protect the workers, they morphed into organizations the primary purpose being to get as much out of the management as possible for the workers. Over time, unions began to themselves exploit the workers for the benefit of the unions. They fought for things that brought more revenue and power to the unions themselves, but cost the workers. When times were good, many companies gave up too much because labor was scarce and the revenue stream could support it. Now times aren’t so good, and workers have taken a second look at unions, realized that unions exploited the labor, and opted out. Additionally, jobs are scarce now and the employers have the advantage. People are happy to get a job without consideration of whether they have a union.

My description isn’t true in all cases, no description is, but by and large I think it’s a pretty good description of the rise and fall of unions.

My description isn’t true in all cases, no description is, but by and large I think it’s a pretty good description of the rise and fall of unions.

Yes, by the time union contracts evolved (devolved?) to the point that every worker was given his birthday off with pay, I think you can say they lost their way.

One of my grandfathers grew up in a small mill village and at the age of 13 his father died and he dropped out of school to be the sole support of his mother and and 4 sibblings. For any interested this is part of the history of the mill where he worked.

http://www.rison-dallas.com/mill_children.html

without unions this country might have experienced a revolution.

Stories like that are tragic and heartbreaking and unfortunately were the norm for that day and age. Fortunately we’ve come a long way since then, and we no doubt owe unions and organized labor for most of that progress.

I think the pendulum has swung a little too far the other way though. I think in some measure the unions have driven away the very jobs they were there to protect.

“I think the pendulum has swung a little too far the other way though. I think in some measure the unions have driven away the very jobs they were there to protect.”

As the ancient Greeks believed…Everything in moderation
Once anything goes to extremes, it is not a good thing.

Hi there. Before the discussion goes further into generalities of the state of unions, could you bring it back a bit more car-related? Thanks.

^
Roger!
Message received…

I am of the belief that the United Auto Workers union went overboard with its demands, and helped to drive the US auto industry into the depths. Surely the UAW wasn’t the only negative factor, but they certainly didn’t help the industry that fed them all.