Geezer Rama

Good post, OK. The man in question with the Caprice here got a new oil pan and whatever was attached to it, out of the garage.

Whenever we talk high mileage older cars it always comes down to good maintenance, and the availability of affordable spare parts. Full frame rear drive GM vehicles, though not perfect, will go a long way because of those affordable repairs.

By 1982 the biggest gas V8 you could’ve gotten in the Delta 88 the 307 Olds IIRC. My mom has an 1982, possibly 1983, Ninety-Eight that my dad picked up for next to nothing since it had the Olds 350 diesel under the hood. First order of business was to remove the diesel and put in the circa 1969 4bbl Chevy 350. That particular engine came from a Chevy pickup, then it was taken out of the chevy pickup, and put in my mom’s 1977 Malibu, she put about 180k on that car, but the engine likely had over 200k on it at that point, then she put another 100k+ on the engine whilst it was in the 98, until about 1990 when the 98 met an untimely demise. Mom and dad certainly got their money’s worth out of that SBC.

I finally get it about your psuedonym,cool.I like the Buicks,but about that 3800 engine I,ve seen some creepy things occur with them.If I take good care of this mill will it hold up?-Kevin(thanks)

Keith and bscar thanks,these are real interesting concepts(we have lost our way on the small trucks)Keith, do you think a 4.6 worktruck toyota tundra?-Kevin

Thanks Doc,good points-Kevin

Well,you know maintenence is critical and I believe in a light right foot(I firmly believe there is a certain amount of mechanical excellence in some models),I believe I asked the right folks to help me on this quest.do have very little trouble with my vehicles,because I respect the machines capabilities-Kevin

Darn Kevin, we probably won’t even be allowed to operate personal transportation devices 25 years from now (perhaps bicycles)

Anarchy in in 20 yrs? you may be right,our freedoms are being legislated away,law by"you may not" law,wish the legislature had to live in the real world-professional courtesy is the biggest farce there is-Kevin

Thanks Daddy; my 1980 Olds had the 350 engine, but by 1982 they must have downsized them to get better overall fuel mileage. The 307 was a great engine as well, as I recall.

As Mark Twain once said: “The rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated!”.
The private car will not likey disappear any time soon. But count on $5 gasoline at least for the life of any new car you buy. We are now experiencing an artificially low prices because we are still in a deep recession.

Also count on being legislated or taxed into a fuel-efficient vehicle, as is already the case in many countries, some very wealthy! A large, V8 pickup truck will be a real white elephant in your driveway twenty years from now.

Most people over-estimate the amount they will drive once they retire. Most folks I know barely put on 7-8000 miles per year. The ones who will travel a lot will take one or two car trips around the continent (US and Canada) and then do the rest of their travelling overseas, or by air. My 92 year old mother-in-law has flown a lot, but her 1994 Pontiac, bought new, still has ony 45,000 miles on it.

To repeat, the maker of your car has to be in business 25 years from now. Your car has to have fairly good fuel mileage, and has to sell in large enough volume so that you will be able to get it repaired and seviced.

In 1958, Chevrolet introduced rear air suspension in their top end cars. It was a disaster. If you own such a car now you won’t likely be able to get air springs for it. There is a retrofit mechanical coil sping set. For the rest of the car, parts are available from many sources, since many of these were sold.

At this time many US service personnel were bringing back a sturdy German compact called the Borgward Isabella, made by Hansa Borgward. There were even a number of dealers in the US. If you owned  a 1958 model today in running condition, you would sell it at Barrett Jackson, since the company went belly up, the dealer  network was never very large and service soon dried up.

Yes I firmly believe we will get into smaller vehicles one way or the other.Cool you should mention about the 58 Chevys facts like this make this one interesting forum-Kevin

Plan on 15 max. I doubt that there will be affordable fuel for much present day vehicles in 25 years. That time span throws too many other factors into the mix. As was suggested, a GM/Crown Vic (you might be able to get a new taxi yet), will be very durable, but they’re durable over many miles. I don’t know how they do over many years. Accidents can take out a car in that time. Parts obsolescence also comes into play.

you know I never considered fuel availability,it is indeed a factor to consider.Will have to suppose that future motoring will be something not to take for granted-Kevin

What about in say 12 yrs?(my wife has 2-10 yr old Hondas now,they are both nowhere near the end of thier useful lives) with the way the economy is headed,is a new vehicle a wise or even a good idea?-Kevin

Crown Vic or Grand Marquis hands down no question.