Gas prices dip; SUV, truck sales soar

What did I say? I think you’ve got me confused with someone else. Like I said before, since age 17, I’ve never been a day without health insurance for me or my family, whether I paid or my company. Same with car insurance, life insurance, renters and homeowners, etc. I’m the agent’s best friend. Worrying about paying an ACA penalty to the IRS is not part of my concerns but I think people should take responsibility for themselves.

@‌Bing
Sorry, hit the wrong button///;-(

^Why, on some issues, are you the most risk-averse person on the face of the earth…and then, when it suits your ends, you come out with drivel like "just don’t pay the IRS…there’s nothing they can do?"

I have to ask: do you practice what you preach? Do you routinely default on credit card and other debt that isn’t secured? Because that’s what you’re saying here: don’t pay your debts to the Feds because they lack a means of garnishment.

I also fail to comprehend why you ALWAYS take threads away from automotive-themed and into political discourse that, clearly, you don’t really comprehend. I don’t really care one way or another, but others seem to.

I think advising complete strangers to be “deadbeat taxpayers” is ethically atrocious, and shouldn’t be invluded on this site. It’s akin to advising how to “spoof” an O2 sensor…only worse, because it’s not even car-related!

(And when the FIRST taxpayer is punished for doing as you suggest, resy assured I’ll be here to tell you, “I TOLD YOU SO!”

I seem to recall Wesley Snipes . . . remember that actor . . . got into big legal trouble, because he refused to pay his taxes for several years

He didn’t pay his taxes . . . because somebody advised him not to

I’m not sure if he actually served time, reached an agreement, or what have you

But he did get busted, that’s for sure

Talk about bad advice . . . !

darn joe, we finally turn dagosa into a rebel and you have to go and talk him out of it!!!

Yeah you don’t want to mess with the IRS. I got advice from a sharp business owner once who said never never never under estimate your income on your taxes, but always always always be very aggressive on deductions. You don’t get killed for being wrong on a deduction, but not reporting income is fraud.

Morning - could you please bring this one back around to something related to cars? Thank you.

@meanjoe75fan‌
What seems to be risky isn’t at all. When you drive a car down the road at exactly the speed limit. When you take it to the better mechanics or check the fluids before a trip, there is little need to worry. And, when you actually do the research as far as your a limitations n anything is concerned whether it be the ACA, my car insurance, driving the speed limit or choosing an SUV in winter with snow tires and AWD, you don’t live in fear…like many I know. It may seem rebellious to always drive in deep snow, off road or not worry about fines. Heck, I aproach 70 and I mountain hike, hang out on my trapeze will sailing my cat, climb trees with a chain saw on a belt and do all sorts of things that seemed as rebellious as the ice racing I used to do. But if you prepare, on one end you seem like a cautious Nellie, but on the other end, you do what appears radical to the ill prepared because they live in fear and “unpreparedness”.

@meanjoe75fan‌

When you can just make up a statement that agrees with your story line, put it in quotes and assign it to me as the author, that speaks volumes about the integrity of the rest of what you have to say. .

and then, when it suits your ends, you come out with drivel like “just don’t pay the IRS…there’s nothing they can do?”

BTW… a solution.
http://gas2.org/2014/10/07/ford-ranchero-replace-ranger-compact-pickup/

“Make up?” YOU were the one who said NOT to pay your debts to the gov’t. You know…the idea you swiped from Rush?

i do his for a living. You don’t. I know it MUCH better than you do. I’m sorry that you have this worldview in which ONE side of the political spectrum can do no wrong, so you need to twist reality to match that view (“See? This isn’t some “bad thing” you’re being “forced” to do by the Left…you can “choose” not to…just ask Rush!”)

A premissible, automotive-themed example that explains what I’m talking about: back in 1983, Steeler first-round draft pick Gabe Rivera got drunk, wrecked his car, and wound up a quadriplegic. It was all over the papers, as one might expect.

At this point in my life, I began to realize that the “good guys” I cheered for weren’t necessarily any morally better, etc than the “bad guys” I cheered against. I was 11 then. Over the next few years, I managed to extrapolate from this shocking experience and apply it to people from different political parties than me, different nations, etc…

You’re pushing 70 and you STILL haven’t figured this one out???

BTW… a solution to trucks and Ford may have the answer.
http://gas2.org/2014/10/07/ford-ranchero-replace-ranger-compact-pickup/

let’s make this related.
What I have figured out is… name calling and fabrication have no place in debates. You have to figure that one out now. A computer can copy and paste. If you use that function, you will more accountable.

I had a 72 Ranchero, sadly swapped the engine from my 68 cougar, 302 and sent the cougar to the scrapyard with the ranchero engine in the trunk. I do not recall the Ranchero having any ability to tow, and the ranger 2003 at least had a hole in the bumper for a ball, used it for my boat I did.

Ford it seems, wants to get back into the small pick up arena and offer buyers Economy trucks? But, they don’ t want to make them as big as the Tacoma 127inch WB and the others.
They want a small Ranger type vehicle. But, a vehicle with frame is still expensive to make and s small Ranger will still cost too near the price of a Tacoma is they modernize it. So, the choice is not to build , or build a unibody type like the Ridgeline. There are articles about this if you google Ford and compact trucks. They really don’t want to go as big as a tacoma and hurt the sales of their f150.

It seems to me that Ford is putting itself into a bad situation . . . because they are doing things differently than the other guys

GM relaunched the Canyon recently, which is no longer a small truck, but realistically, it’s mid-sized, or perhaps 3/4 sized

The Toyota hasn’t been a small truck in a long time. The typical crew cab, long bed Tacoma I see here is about the size of a F150

The Nissan Frontier appears to be nearly as large as a Tacoma

So just where the heck does the new Ford “small” truck fit in, if they don’t want to compete with the Tacoma . . . ?

Do they want to recreate the “small” truck segment, all by themselves?

cdaquila I appreciate you actually monitoring this forum and steering us back on subject. We all have interests, knowledge, experience, and formal education in many subjects. When a post touches these it is tempting to share our knowledge/experience. Personally I try to stay on automotive and/or related subjects. Sometimes I fail.

The old really small pickups usually had about a 1/4 ton load capacity and were useful for hauling small amounts of home improvement stuff. Now days a compact hatchback or minivan with fold down rear seats can do the same. A pickup 3/4 the size of an F-150 for slightly less money is not going to sell in anywhere near profitable numbers. The manufacturers make large profits on full size pickups and SUVs. I don’t see a small pickup in our near future.

They have forgotten how to market a small vehicle and for some reason lack the ingenuity to make them have any advantages.My last compact pickup drove that home-it was like it was delibertly dumbed down.No Virginia,the cash cows will reign,this faux gas price reduction will will only exacerbate the trend-Kevin

@kmccune‌

You hit the nail on the head

We have lots of gm and ford trucks in our fleet, small and fullsize

I can say definitely, yes, the small trucks are deliberately dumbed down

They use cheaper materials, they’re built more shoddy, even the top line models just aren’t very nice

And deliberately so, I presume. If you want a nice truck, I guess you’re supposed to spend the big bucks for a full size

" it seems that Ford is putting themselves in a bad situation…" @db4690
That could be true if the all aluminum body in a truck model they make the most profit out of flops. But, 700 lbs less in weight means the darn thing weights no more then a compact truck. You now have a full size truck that’s bigger, hauls more, cost close enough and is more economical then the Tacoma. It could be the move of the decade. Why would Ford rush to make a similar Tacoma size truck ? They own the truck field if this lighter weight full size truck proves it self reliability wise.

The 2005 Tacoma was light years ahead of the competition back then. If the new one doesn’t use a lot of aluminum, have a newer more efficient motor with a diesel option, they will loose lots of sales to the American full size ford and Chevy/GMC INTEMDIATES. this is fun to watch , There are going to be some interesting vehicles and power plants popping up in the next five years. I confess…I don’t give a hoot what the cars do…am watching trucks !