Gas octane rating for mowers?

For big lawns, I recommend sheep. You’ll need to build a fence though.

Yes, your mind will write checks your body can’t cash. I frequently head out the door after breakfast and a couple cups of coffee intending to do 3 or 4 things in the yard or on the car and the first one take 3 or 4 times what I estimated and I run out of energy due ti diabetes and age and I retire to my recliner for the rest of the day.

The nice thing about being retired is that there is always tomorrow. And if it rains and you can’t do it tomorrow, oh well.

I am late to this but after reading about 50 posts, I couldn’t tell you exactly where this went from being loosely on topic to not … but can we please push (or steer?) it back towards the mechanical/car related? Thanks.

My parents have been comparing a self propelled electric start push mower with their older pull start manual model. The self propelled mower has required constant repairs while the old walk behind starts on the first pull every time. I’ve lost track how long we’ve owned that one. The family home is on 4 acres and as of now they mow 1 1/2 acres or a little more of it including the flat part of the pasture (the property’s flat in front but by the fence lines on 3 sides you’re well below the house.

The sears repair guy once remarked it was good thing we had a Kohler engine when he saw the slope of the lawn between the front and back yards. Apparently the Briggs&Stratton engines were needing replacement under warranty under similar conditions.

The Top universities have far more full time professors then the lower-tier universities.

I am not certain what a Top university really is. I was on my university’s research committee and I also was chair of the promotion committee. Some of the best research proposals came from faculty members whose degrees were from institutions that were less prestigious.
At many prestigious universities, undergraduates don’t often see a tenured or tenure track professor at least in their first two years. If they do have one of these professors, it is in a large lecture class. The professors in these prestigious institutions teach one or possibly two graduate courses a semester and are heavily engaged in research. The undergraduate teaching is most often done by graduate students. I once was one of these graduate students.

I thought it was obvious.
They use only Top Tier gasoline in their vehicles!
:smirk:

1 Like

@VDCdriver. The university where I taught was top tier when I first began my career there in 1965. The institution had a 1961 airport limousine–4 doors on each side that was on a Chrysler platform. It had a sign on the dashboard that read “PREMIUM GASOLINE ONLY”. The limo couldn’t be filled up at the university pump.because it only pumped regular. Ultimately, the limo was replaced with 15: passenger vans. At that point we were no longer a Top Tier University.
The pump still only supplies 87 octane fuel, so none of the mowing or snow removal equipment get premium fuel.

Here’s an idea!

When people go off subject, and we all know who are the ones most responsible for doing it, treat them like little kids. That means no TV.

But instead, ban them from board for say a week for the first time.

Then if they do it again, ban them for two weeks.

Then if they do it a third time, they’re banned for life!

Some even admit what they’re doing is wrong, but do it anyway!

Then we’ll see how often it happens

Tester

you are off topic

5 Likes

Just asking for a friend but is this your idea of bringing it back to cars or at least mechanical devices? Getting a little too emotional for me and someone is going to get hurt again.

Agree with @bing - I’ve had more than one small engine mechanic give me the same advice. In Wisconsin premium fuel has no ethanol in it, so that could be where the premium fuel advice came from.

After having to get a carburetor rebuilt I use non-oxy fuel with stabilizer without fail in my lawnmower and snowblower. No problems since then…

Stay safe my friends!

To bring it back to subject , I googled it and Briggs OHV small engines have 8.5 compression.

Some of the most interesting threads happen when they go off topic. I think a gentle chastisement from the moderator is enough.

1 Like

@oldtimer-11
I looked up the L-head Briggs & Stratton and the compression ratio is 6.1:1. The OHV engine at 8.5:1 should be more efficient than an L-head with the same displacement.

The 6.1:1 L-head might require the same octane rating as the 8.5:1 OHV engine. There’s more to octane requirements than compression ratio. My motorcycle, (2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300) has a 10.6:1 compression ratio and still burns 87 octane unleaded.