Gas-Miser Measures

Is it true that shifting into neutral with an AUTOMATIC transmission will save mpg’s, or is that a myth??? Even if it does, is it potentially harmful to the transmission?

Other than reducing speed, lightening the load, coasting as much as possible, and avoiding “jack-rabbit” stops and starts, what are other gas-saving driving tips???

The question about neutral is asked here over and over and over and over. Please search.

Otter Here, You Have To Hold Your Mouth Just Right. Many Hiper-Milers Practice In Front Of A Mirror For Hours At A Time!

In the time it took you to type that, you could’ve typed the answer. Yes/no.

The way powertrains are set up on today’s cars, there is no fuel milegea gain by putting the transmission in neutral. You will just wear your brakes out faster.

Drive like their is an egg between your foot and the gas pedal and your fuel economy will really increase! In other words, easy does it.

If it is a newer car (late 90’s and up), putting it in neutral will cause you to get slightly lower MPG. (In other words, don’t do it, it will cost you more gas.)

When you shift an automatic transmission from neutral into gear, the whole drivetrain takes a jolt. Although the drivetrain is designed to withstand this jolt repeatedly for many years, doing this more than necessary will accelerate wear and lead to premature failure somewhere along the drivetrain.

In addition, many modern fuel injected cars will shut off fuel while you coast in gear. Coasting in neutral will mean the engine uses fuel to idle.

So just leave it in gear.

Shifting to neutral uses more gas than staying in gear. The computer in your new car will shut off the fuel injectors when you take your foot off the accelerator while in gear, meaning NO gas is being used to keep the engine running.

If you shift to neutral, however, the computer has to pulse the injectors with enough fuel to maintain engine idle.

Leave it in gear and save gas.

Here are some good ideas by T @ R; except, the one on changing octane grades. Use the octane recommended by your car maker. The wrong octane can worsen your fuel economy. http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/fueleconomy/

It’s too easy to put it into reverse by accident, and your $$$ saving plan is shot. Just drive gently, that’s the best thing you can do. I also keep my tires at 35 PSI, I think it helps.

There are and you have to go crazy to use them all but they could save a lot of gas money. They could cause a lot of repairs too if you aren’t lucky or skilled enough to remember what you are doing.

Lots of gas-saving tips on www.fueleconomy.gov. One that many people don’t hink about: Reduce idling time. So many peole tirn on their car, then buckle up, look for a radio station. Or stand for 10 minutes in a drive-thru line with the engine running.

Another is maintaining your car well. This will save much more than coasting.

More tips here: http://fueleconomy.gov/feg/drive.shtml

If you do a lot of city driving, try anticipating the lights. If you can adjust your speed so that you hit each traffic light green, you can really save a lot of gas. It can be really difficult to do sometimes, you slow down a little to give the light time to change and some idiot will cut in front of you, race too the light and then have to come to a complete stop, and you have to stop while they began to accelerate. But if traffic isn’t too heavy, it can work.

I have used this and gotten better gas mileage in the city than out on the highway, with my truck anyway. I even beat the epa highway estimate in the city, which I couldn’t do out on the highway.

I’m going against the grain here. Shift as soon as possible and floor it(well, not quite, use 3/4 throttle) as much as possible while accelerating to reduce pumping lose. In fact, skip shift when accelerating (i.e. go 1-3-5 instead of 1-2-3-4-5).

It is the combination of engine speed and throttle opening that consume fuel. Open up the throttle while limiting engine speed with gearing allows the engine to operate efficiently at low power.

Chunky, I surely hope you are joking!! IMO that is the worst driving practice I ever heard of.

OK, No for the millionth time.

If you’re suggesting shifting into neutral at sustained stops, you may save a dixie cup full of gas over the lifetime of the vehicle. The torque converter does, in fact, keep a teeny tiny itty bitty bit of load on the engine.

If you’re suggesting shifting into neutral while cruising…don’t. In addition to not saving gas and adding wear & tear it’s also not safe.

My tips: retrain your brain. Change your driving behaviors. Leave lots of room between you and other traffic whenever possibly so you can plan your moves and do everything slowly and calmly. Build in extra time when you go places to allow you to relax and drive calmly…and maintain reasonable speeds. These last two tips will also help keep you out of accidents. Use cruise control whenever practicable. And, last but not least, keep the car well maintained and running properly.

Well, actually, going up steep hills with the cruise control ON will use more fuel because the cruise control will maintain the same speed as it does on the flats. For better fuel economy, let the hill slow you down. Of course, keep the slower speed reasonable for the other traffic’s safety.

I trust you noticed the word “practicable”?
It also should not be used in traffic or on slippery roads.

Were you that guy I was behind yesterday that kept slowing down on the inclines? That drove me nuts!

Other gas saving tips? Well, you’ve got a few down . . . reducing your speed, taking extra weight out of your trunk and no jackrabbit starts is a good beginning point. Others?
1. tune your car up often . . . plugs, wires, rotor, cap;
2. keep you tires inflated, even a pound or two over will be ok;
3. change your air filter (don’t get a fancy one, just replacement);
4. an air dam in the front works for me;
5. warm-up for only 30-45 seconds winter, 20-30 seconds summer;
6. plan your trips, don’t re-do the same route on errands;
7. anticipate traffic when you can . . . watch ahead for stop lights and train crossing stuff . . . shut your car off when you think you’ll be sitting for longer than a minute;
8. walk

Hope you’ll forget about the coasting bit and just use common sense otter . . . the life you save may be one of ours. Rocketman