Gas Mileage and Auto Transmission

I know you don’t need fuel while decelerating but just figured it never shut down below idle speed. Could someone send me some proof of this?? If you would I would be quick to concede.

I recognize that the computer could easily be programmed to shut the injectors down under whatever engine profile (combination of sensor inputs) is desired and recognize those parameters as within the normal operating ranges thus not tripping the light, but am unfamiliar with any system that shuts all the injectors off.

Knowing also that I only know a tiny bit of what there is to know, I’d consider it an educational opportunity if one of you out there could provide a link to a technical site providing a description of this. Bustedknuckles’ description is excellent and I would add that compressing air via the pumping process in play would also create heat. I hunger for more information.

Some of the posters making this claim are people whose technical expertise I have a lot of respect for. I retract my claim to accept the apparent evolution of the thinking behnd the most efficient way to profile engine operation for optimum mileage and emissions goals. I look forward to learning more about this.

I definitely need to get out more…

“BUT I doubt very much that the gas is shut off when you let off the petal”

I just came back from my greenhouse, where I conferred with the flowers growing there. The consensus was that there is no connection between their petals and the gas suppplied to my car’s engine. The answer provided by the Calla Lillies was a bit muddled, but all of the other flowers agreed that their petals are not influencing fuel delivery to my car’s cylinders.

;-))

“but just figured it never shut down below idle speed”

They shut fuel off ABOVE idle speed. My '85 Accord SEi (Honda’s first fuel injected car in the US) did it above 1200 RPM. It was described in the factory service manual.

Here is some proof.

Here are articles from Popular Mechanics and Road and Track that concur:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4230705.html

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=36&article_id=6905