Gas in oil thinning out oil spark plugs look good

My son’s chevy S10 truck has low oil pressure…it taps He let it get hot when he had a radiator leak. My husband tried to pull the oil pan from below = does the engine have to come out to pull the pan?

What’s the problem??? He bought rod bearings in hopes to fix it but cannot get the pan off.

More info is needed. Low oil pressure means oil light on? Engine knocking? Getting hot means what; roasted engine, blown head gasket, etc? Year of truck, miles, etc?

Gas in the oil means you can actually smell it? That could point to a leaking fuel pressure regulator. Or not.

Your husband bought rod bearings but what about the mains?

Sometimes the engine mounts have to be disconnected and the engine raised to remove a pan.
This entire repair is sounding a bit suspect.

I have to agree with ok4450 in that everything needs to be clarified. We have “gas in oil”/“low pressure”/“taps”/“let it get hot”/apparently an unsuccessful attempt to remove an oil pan connected to an attempt to replace rod bearings.

In the mean time we don’t even know what year the truck is, what engine it has in it, or how many miles are on it. Maybe more importantly we don’t even know what symptoms it has beyond a claim of low oil pressure - but we don’t know how that determination was made.

Why does he think that changing the rod bearings will fix a low oil pressure problem? And why would that fix gas in the oil - to fix that you basically have to rebuild the block.

It sounds to me like this should really be taken to a mechanic.

This seems to be a rather scattered collection of tidbits of information. I will answer what I can, but also have a few questions of my own.

I’m pretty sure any engine in any S10 has to be raised up for the oil pan to be removed. He will have to get a shop crane and pull the motor mount bolts and raise the engine up to get the oil pan off.

How hot did the engine get, how long was it driven like this, and did this oil pressure and “tap” begin after this overheating episode? Your husband is not trying to cure the “GM oil pressure tachometer syndrome”, is he? Any higher mileage GM vehicle with an oil pressure gauge will show rather low oil pressure that increases with engine speed. This is caused by increased bearing clearance due to normal wear and does not need any kind of intervention to prolong the life of the engine. It doesn’t mean the engine is on it’s last leg, necessarily.

If your husband does install those bearings, don’t expect any miracles. Replacing rod (and main, which is often replaced at the same time) bearings is at best a band-aid fix and at worst will cause a spun bearing which would not normally have occurred. If the crank journals have gotten out of round, the closer bearing clearance created by the new bearings can cause the new bearing to spin, which will inevitably result in a major knock followed by engine seizure.

I will take your advice and not hope for miracles on a band aid fix and let a mechanic do a proper rebuild. But still the original question on this 1996 Chevy S-10 with 2.2L 4 cylinder with 130,000 miles. Why would oil smell strong of gas and appear diluted? Is there any way for gas to get in oil on fuel injected motors even when spark plugs look to be burning clean with no signs of flooding?