Fusion Hybrid - v - Fusion SEL

It is not unusual for me to drive over 150 miles in a day. I estimate that my average speed is 55mph over mostly mountinous backroads, slowing down for occasional small towns. My question is…would a driver such as myself be reaping a benefit from the fusion hybrid that equals or surpasses a regular gasoline fusion when it comes to fuel economy over the long term considering the price difference between the two cars? Also considering the hybrid has a $3,400 tax incentive.

Your driving pattern is not going to use a hybrid to advantage. Compare the EPA highway mileage for the models your are considering. The $3,400 tax incentive is on point in favor of the hybrid. The higher initial cost might be a point against the hybrid. Also, the dealer might offer better deals and incentives on a conventional Fusion if demand for the hybrid more than the supply.

I’d see the Fusion SEL as better suited for your needs.

I think the $3400 tax incentive has expired. For your kind of driving you’ll get near the same mpgs with an I4 Fusion, and you’ll save thousands. Only if you were doing lots of stop and go would it be worthwhile. Of course, if you want to get the hybrid as a neat option, like a fancy stereo, I see nothing wrong with that. People buy expensive options all the time!

Edit - yep, no credit, expired April 1, 2010. Read more here:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_hybrid.shtml

On the same link, fueleconomy.gov, you can put the cars and hit compare. You can also adjust based on your gas price, hwy and local driving and miles driven. The you would see your yearly cost with each.

I believe you might realize significant fuel savings due to regenerative braking on the hilly terrain. You’d get to recapture some of the braking energy, that otherwise would have been lost as heat, to be re-used to move the car.

Also, the engine on this car can shut off entirely at idle power (at 45MPH or lower), saving gas. Most of your driving seems too fast to benefit here, but the “in-town” driving would work.

Price out both cars (equipped with whatever options you’d like) to see the price difference. Then you can easliy find the # of gallons you’d have to save to “break even.” Use the EPA figures to see how much driving you’d have to do to save that much gas/money.

From reading, it’s suppose to be the better midsize hybrid made. It should be a worthwhile car. If you are willing to pay the price, why not ? My concern with hybrids in larger vehicles has always been whether you realize the difference in economy as much when you actually utilize the car the way it was designed while carrying a car full.

One more thing - it’s hard to put $$ value on how satisfied you’ll be, in a year, say, if gas prices spike to $4 or $5/gallon, and you’re filling up your 40 mpg hybrid. A good feeling!

I drove a Fusion Hybrid for about a half-hour…I don’t know long-term how the cost-benefit ratio will work but but I can say for sure the car was really cool…Just watching the dashboard when you turn the key on is almost worth the price of admission!!