Fuel pump suggestions

Sorry if im bugging you but,I was wondering if the fuel pump js buzzing when the ignition is switched on & stops after pressurizing could it still be bad? reason im asking is because I havent got it start again since the 1st time i tried the mallet trick.

Do the mallet trick again.

Does the engine start?

Tester

Or try the key dance: turn key to Run (not all the way to Start) and let the fuel pump run. You have heard it. It will shut off after a few seconds. Key to Off then back to Run, and the FP will run again briefly. Each time, you are getting fuel and fuel pressure up to the engine. After a few of these steps, turn the key all the way the Start. And…? Good luck.

No not since the 1st time I did it.

Do you hear the fuel pump run briefly each time you turn the key to Run?

Yes, then it stops.

Yes.you can hear it run then it stops & kida hear a psst sound.

Ok so i changed the pump,car still wont start. gonna check for spark after I go buy a tester. any other suggestions people?

You might be looking at a bad crankshaft sensor.

When the ignition switch is turned on, the computer will run the fuel pump for a second or two to prime the fuel system.

When the ignition switch is turned to start, the computer has to see crankshaft rotation.

Otherwise, the computer won’t run the fuel pump/injectors so the engine doesn’t start.

Tester

1 Like

I,m ready to stuff a rag in the gas tank,light it & let it roll out my drivway for a late 4th o’ July show… So this crankshaft sensor,do the drive pullys ,serpentine belt all need to come off in order to replace?

Tester

Thanks,I appreciate you taking the time. Without having a lift to put the car in the air,I think I’ll leave this one to a shop. Working on your back in a driveway @ my age is for the birds. Thanks again

If you have ramps, working on your back isn’t so bad because 1) you don’t have to raise it by pumping on a jack and 2) you don’t have to place jack stands. You haven’t done all that physical and fussy work, you’ve just driven the car up on the ramps and are fresh, ready to slide under it on a comfy piece of cardboard.

But ramps are HUGE, compared to jack stands

Just think how many more times you might bump your head :face_with_head_bandage:

I hate ramps

I’ll take jack stands ANY day :triumph: