Fuel Problem vs Blown Head Gasket

So far I got it running. The only thing new is that the fuel is running out about 2x faster. I literally had to walk for gas just the other day.

I’m betting on fuel. I’m all in. I’m replacing the fuel injectors next, then the fuel pressure regulator, then spark plugs if that doesn’t stop it I’m banging my head against the refrigerator

I never been so happy to see a check engine light. I finally got a code Po440

What do you guys think about the new code?

From Kelly blue book: What Are Some Causes of a P0440 Code?

A few things may result in the display of a P0440 error code. The most common cause is that the vehicle’s ECM has sealed off all of the fuel tank vapor lines in order to monitor the vapor pressure and detect a pressure drop that exceeds the test parameters of the ECM. Another common cause includes a loose gas cap. In addition, a P0440 error code is also displayed if any of the fuel vapor system’s components are leaking. This includes a gas cap vent, vent valve, carbon canister, fuel filler neck or any fuel vapor recovery components. Another cause would be that the fuel vapor pressure sensor is faulty, causing an incorrect reading input to the ECM.

Gas cap is cheap and easy, first try cleaning the cap and the top of the filler tube. Then retighten, see if that does it. You might get lucky with that or a new gas cap.

The thing is I know the cap can’t be it because I bought a new one maybe 2 years ago. I also believe the white smoke coming out the tail pipe is gas vapors because I’m getting only about 2/3 to 1/2 the fuel economy. I’m literally running out of gas and having to walk to gas stations.

Are you able to clearly smell the odor of gasoline in those vapors? I expect the white smoke coming out of the tailpipe is just steam, normal combustion byproduct. Unrelated to 0440 diagnostic code.

I can’t be there seems to be too much coming out still. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Can it burn that much extra gas and affect driving if it’s just vapor coming out the other parts of the fuel system?

How are you measuring fuel economy?

Can Sequoia and fuel economy even go in the same sentence ?

1 Like

Okay, fuel usage.

I measure the gas usage by the miles on the mil. I’m getting around half the fuel economy I use to.

What does “on the mil” mean?

This vehicle has a fuel economy rating of 12 mpg, so now you are getting 6 mpg?
Aren’t you at risk of being stopped by the police for driving a smoking vehicle?

By watching the miles on the dash

Yeah I’m guessing I’m getting around 6-8 mpg

If you think it’s gas, a bad thermostat can cause the engine to run fat.

So can a faulty coolant temp sensor for the computer.

Tester

And you are doing the math based on gallons of gas used? You can’t rely on the gas gauge.

I’m doing it based on miles on giraffe and gallons bought

I wouldn’t trust Geoffrey The Giraffe to know anything about gas mileage.
:wink:

5 Likes

I expect it was a spell-check thing, but on the plus-side, I think a fuel gauge with the picture of a giraffe would be pretty cool.