Fuel gage intermitten on Chevy trucks

I have a 2001 S10 pickup that has an erratic fuel gauge. Reads empty running down the road and will return sometimes just by moving the gear shifter drive to neutral and back. I have other buddies that have same problem on 2000 & 2001 Chevy trucks. Wiring , sender and gauge check good with ohm meter. Any body have a fix??

The guage on my 2000 S-10 Blazer quit working about a year ago. As far as I know the fix is to replace the fuel pump assembly since the sending unit and float is built into it. I don’t feel like spending $700 - $800 to have a working guage so I just fill the tank every 240 to 260 miles. It seems to be a common problem with S-10s.

Ed B.

“Inaccurate or Erratic Fuel Gauge Readings at 1/4 Tank or Lower”, Bulletin No. 03–8-49-003. Replace with a fuel level sensor.

It could be a poor ground between the gauge and the sender unit somewhere. Try to get a wiring diagram somewhere for this vehicle and find out where the ground is. Once you find the ground you will probably notice that it is corroded or pinched somehow. You can get a diagram at your local parts store as far as I know.