Fuel for emergencies

Running out of gas is not something anyone plans to do.
But if it happens, sparefuel is definitely not the answer of choice.

I am interested in hearing what others think, regarding this question: Why do you think that some people manage to run out of gas more than once, and others never do?

Some of us learn by listening.
Some of us learn by watching others.
The rest of us have to put our tongues on frozen flagpoles ourselves.

I dunno. I mentioned it before but we rented a van with another couple to drive from Minnesota to Florida one year. The friend was the Fire Chief so would have thought he’d be more concerned with emergency preparedness, but when he was driving the tank kept getting lower and lower and past 1/4, 1/8, until he finally stopped for gas. Drove me nuts. I never let it get below 1/2 tank on a trip. What if you get stalled in traffic, have a break down, detour, etc. Doesn’t take much to go through 1/8th of a tank to keep warm and mobile. I think he just liked the excitement of it all.

I have made it a habit to fill up based on mileage. If the tank holds 15 gallons and fuel mileage is a realisitic 20 mpg filling up at 200 miles pretty much keeps me safe.

Long ago when riding a Harley Davidson late into the night I noticed that all the gas stations were closed and I had many miles left 'till home. I stopped at every station along the way and milked the hoses and made it home eventually. Fifty years ago they rolled up the sidewalks at 9:00 in rural Mississippi.

I don’t remember if it was 58 or 60 or so but we were heading out for a trip east. It was our habit to just take off at night because no one could sleep anyway. There was one stretch through Wisconsin that there was no open station for a couple hundred miles. I remember about two in the morning one of the town police actually opened the station and dispensed gas for us. I think it happened quite a bit. Not sure where it was but think it must have on the way to Door County. Must have been 59 because I think it was the same trip that Dad changed oil in a park on the 58 Chevy. I don’t remember what he did with the old oil.

Those vacation experiences might be why I always liked to have a full tank of gas and have motel reservations ahead of time. Most of the time we’d end up in a downtown hotel for $3 a night when there was no vacancy everywhere else.

This should be advertised late at night, when they try selling all the other miracle gadgets.

I always laughed at this one.

http://www.overstock.com/As-Seen-on-TV/Auto-Accessories/26993/subcat.html?gclid=CKyRk9ijoMMCFcGGaQodjVEA2w&featuredproduct=7708535&featuredoption=10621885&cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=15114830-000-000&ef_id=VL0WIwAABcG0KnKh:20150119143515:s

If the "Commercial Grade " one was full of Styrofoam it would work. You’d never get that to move with stone…too heavy to budge.

Yosemite