Fuel Economy

There is lots of aftermarket technology for older trucks n such. I know a guy driving an older dodge truck thats getting better mileage than some of the new trucks.
Let’s hear them !

I didnt get a list

What your saying is when a vehicle was made it was made to perform at maximum fuel economy with no room for improvement.

I dont think so…

No, they’re saying the basic design decisions make for your '89 don’t allow much room for improvement.

I got that part

Thanks

Change the thermostat

Its new. Whats your thinking on that?

We have a 2003 Toyota 4Runner V-6 and it runs about 16 mpg give or take 2 mpg around town. The same is true for our 2011 Toyota V-6 Sienna. Highway mileage on both runs 24-26. I’m at the age where I am not going to be uncomfortable driving an econobox. I served my sentence driving a Rambler, Ford Maverick, and a Ford Tempo for the mileage. I doubt that there is much that you can do to your 4Runner to improve the mileage that would be cost effective. On the plus side, 4Runners are relatively trouble free–what you save on repairs probably makes up for the additional cost of gasoline over many econoboxes.

I hear that

I started it the other day at 30 below and when i let the clutch out it killed the motor. The guy i bought it from had regular grade (SAE?) in it and the heavier of the 2 options.
I just put the lighter 75-90 synthetic in it and a little air in the tires. That might get me a mile or 2 more mpg. It now has synthetic from one end to the other.

At sub zero temperatures, it might be helpful to block off most of the radiator. Even though the thermostat blocks flow until the coolant temperature hits 195 or so, when it does open, that coolant gets replaced with ice cold coolant from the radiator and it reaches the thermostat last.
Also, your heater will blow really hot air.

Affirmative. Ive been looking for the right size piece of cardboard. Slide in right in front of the radiator. Between the grill and radiator. Some its not so simple. This one just slides right in.

Thanks

16 MPG is pretty much what this vehicle is supposed to get
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=1989&year2=1989&make=Toyota&model=4Runner%204WD&srchtyp=ymm

There’s probably nothing wrong with the vehicle.

I believe @badbearing stated . . . in another post . . . that he has a 4 banger

@badbearing

I’m a little confused with your logic

The 4runner is over 300lbs heavier than the Cherokee . . . how is that “virtually the same” . . . ?

Check this out

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/6375.shtml

Unless I’m missing some piece of key information, it appears to me that you’re getting acceptable fuel economy

Im well aware of the mileage.

My original question was about ways to improve it with aftermarket add ons. There has been a lot of technology since 1989

And 300lbs is nothing. Thats a passenger.

@badbearing Yes there has been a lot of technology improvement, but none of it can be retrofitted to your truck. A modern truck would have direct injection, extremely close air/fuel ratio control, electric power steering, a transmission with less energy lost., etc.

Today’s power trains are optimized for economy to meet CAFE regs; you cannot even mix and match components from different vehicles from the same manufacturer and the same year.

On a 24 year old vehicle, the first thing I’d want to do is assess the condition of the engine and powertrain. I’m betting that the compression isn’t what it was when new. Start there.

I strongly recommend that you not waste money on add-ons until you know the engine’s condition.

Its has 6000 on a rebuild

This post has gone wild

I know the factory mpg. I knew it from the beginning and posted it.
I was simply looking for after market add-ons to improve mpg, of which it seems there are probably none.
I will just deal with it.

Thanks for the info

over n out