Fruel tank sensor question

I HAVE A SATURN L200 AND RECENTLY MADE A MISTRAKE AND WENT TO AN INDEPENDENT GARAGE. THEY TOLD ME MY FUEL PUMP WAS BROKE AND WHEN THEY FIXED IT THEY MESSED UP MY FUEL SENSOR. IT NOW READS ALWAYS FULL. THE QUESTION I HAVE:

THE INDICATOR THAT TELLS ME I HAVE ONLY ONE OR TWO GALLNS LEFT IN THE TANK, IS THAT BROKEN AS WELL? HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE.

THNAKS,

MARLINFISH

Most likely the fuel level sender was damaged during the fuel pump replacement. However the sender should be part of the fuel pump assembly.

Have you talked with the shop about this problem. Most likly an honest mistake that they will cover under whatever warranty they gave you.

And yes, most likely the low fuel light will not come on when low on fuel untill the sender is repaired.

Yea it even makes sense if you don’t use ALL CAPS. Please loose the ALL CAPS, they make your message hard to read. Which is why you don’t get them in newspapers or books. Also you fid not tell us what year Saturn or how many miles you have on it. It would also be a good idea to fill us in on any prior or current issues with your car. Often they are related.

[i] THE INDICATOR THAT TELLS ME I HAVE ONLY ONE OR TWO GALLNS LEFT IN THE TANK, IS THAT BROKEN AS WELL[/i] 

Don't know.  Do you only have a gallon or two in the tank?  

You did not ask, but I will answer the big question.  "What should I do now?"  You should go back the mechanic and ask him or her what they are going to do about it? (Remember we don't yet know what the problem is or if the mechanic failed in some way.  

As an aside, remember that dealers are not known as the best or least expensive source of automotive service.     Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car.  They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies.  They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent. 

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.  

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.  During the warranty period be sure to have all required (as listed in the owner's manual) maintenance done and to document all maintenance work.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic. 

Note: Never ever use a quick oil change place. They are fast cheap and very very bad.

thanks for your answer. the saturn is a 2002 and has 151,000 miles.
the mechanic i used is a total rip-off. he offered no guaranteee and charged me 700 bucks for a possible fuel pump problem. the fuel pump was working properly when i brought the car to him.
the reason i brought the car in:
i was smelling gas fumes in the driving compartment. he told me the fuel pump was broken. i was too dumb to inquire more information. my mistake. never again.
thanks for the reply.
marlinfish