Frozen tight Spark Plugs

I have platinum plugs that have been in my truck a long time. I can’t get them out and am afraid they will snap. Any ideas? Has anyone dealt with this?

if its running fine,then id leave them in!

Spray them with penetrating oil, let them sit overnight, and try again. Repeat as necessary until the plugs loosen up.

When you install the new plugs, coat the threads with anti-seize compound.

I also suggest the penetrating oil.

And in addition to the anti-seize, which should be used, I use a torque wrench. See here for a useful spec sheet:

http://www.autolite.com/pdf/TorqueSpecs.pdf

Don’t Try This At Home!

I like it when people try to maintain their own cars. They save money and learn things.

However, unless you are quite experienced, this might be one situation where a professional technician can save you. They have lots of experience with stubborn spark plugs and know what to do. Spend a little here, save a lot there.

thanks for concern. I took it to my mechanic and he said he didn’t want to bother with it! He thought it could be a headache. Time for a new mechanic? He said soak it in penetrating oil for a week! then try. I was hoping someone had tried something like this…

If you’re feeling uncertain about doing it, then certainly look for another mechanic.

But its really not rocket science - it likely only requires some penetrating oil, a good quality spark plug wrench, and patience. I would do as advised - give the occasional shot of oil down there for a week or so and give it another shot.

If you start running out of patience then certainly look for another mechanic.

The reason the mechanic does not want to mess with it is because he knows there is a decent chance that the threads on one or more spark plug holes may be damaged.
He knows if this happens that he will likely get the blame as is often the case.

This is exactly why I don’t buy into that bunk about leaving plugs, platinum, iridium or whatever, in an engine for a 100k miles, or eternity.

A mechanic should be willing to proceed with plug replacement but he should also make it clear to the customer they could be facing a situation in which the cost could go way up if any spark plug holes are damaged.

What I would suggest for the DIYer in this case is not to simply try and break the plugs loose in one swoop. Use a breakover and seesaw it back and forth a little. Bump it tight a little, then loosen, tighten, loosen, etc. Often this will get them loose. It’s no guarantee but worth a shot. Just do not get heavy handed with it. If you feel the plug start to come loose then continue working it back and forth rather than removing it in one motion.

It is certainly possible that no amount of penetrating oil/soak time will loosen your plugs up.
Plan for the worst,remove the plugs only if you have to,have a plan in place if a plug breaks off and the head has to come off (do a valve job,both sides,rings,bearings,is now the time for overhaul?)
I side with the mechanic that turned you down,the only broken bolts,plugs that I deal with are the one’s I break personally.
I have a lot of good paying work to do, why do I want the headache of your stuck plug
The reason I became a “independant garage owner” was so I could pick my work
So I loose you as a customer,I will come out ahead in the end.

I found that using a breaker bar has helped loosen up stubborn car parts. I use an 18" bar with whatever socket and extender is called for. When I reinstall the components, I use the ratchet-type socket wrench. Use the penetrating oil and try an 18" bar. I hope that your truck is RWD. Changing seized rear plugs on a transversely mounted engine is a nightmare.

Using a right angled 3/8 inch drive impact wrench that is set to a medium torque may help you break them loose. It is amazing what an impact wrench can do when used properly. If you don’t have access to that then you might try tighening the plugs just enough to turn them slightly and break them loose. Then twist them loose.

“It is amazing what an impact wrench can do when used properly.”

That’s what I was talking about!

I still recommend finding someone with the proper tools, know-how, and experience. We don’t even know if we’re talking iron or aluminum. I think you should combine all the advice. Get a pro willing to try, explain that you know it’s a risk you are willing to take, and have a back-up plan.

Sometimes you go through all this only to find the plugs look good enough to have gone the distance, whatever that may be. We don’t know the vehicle, engine, year, miles, value, etc. If they’re already seized, maybe just wait and see. We really don’t have enough info.