Front Wheel vs. Snow!

Before moving to the southwest, we lived in Vermont (I’m a 7th generation Vermonter) and drove twin CRV’s in 1999, 2002 & 2005. The AWD system got a nice workout on my way home from work one morning when there was freshly-falling snow to the tune of 12" or more. The snow plows had not made it to this side road yet. We lived in the hills and about 3 miles from home, going up a 30 degree incline, the 2WD Chevy pickup in front of me couldn’t make it to the top of the hill and had to back down to get a better start (he never did make it and had to abandon the truck in a nearby bus parking lot until the roads were clear). I had to come to a complete stop and with the snow was tickling the under-carriage, I thought I too might have to back to the bottom and begin again. The Honda AWD is front-wheel-drive until the front tires begin to spin, then seamlessly, the RWD kicks in. That’s excactly what happened. Without spinning at all, the CRV just took off from a dead stop and got me home safely.