Front brakes wearing 2x faster on one side than other

So, I have a 93 Nissan Altima with front disc brakes and 185k miles. I do the pads myself, and it works great. Only problem is that the passenger side brakes are wearing at 2x the driver side. I don’t see anything physically wrong, and both sides are engaging/seating. It’s just by the time the rights are at 10%, the other side is still about 50%. The calipers seem to move ok, but do I need to look for something specific? I did break a bolt on the passenger side caliper and replaced it with one as close as I could find. Could that be it?

Also, after the brake changes, my cruise control light will blink when i hit the brakes. Someone told me how to fix that, but I forgot. Tips?

The side which is wearing out more quickly has got to be dragging/binding . . . OR, the side which is not wearing out as quick might not be engaging/braking with sufficient pressure. At 185k, I’d think about a new caliper for BOTH sides. They come “loaded” and aren’t too expensive (I never go cheap on brake or suspension stuff). Why don’t you take the pads out and give it a good cleaning, lubricate all the moving parts, like where the yokes slide against each other? If you chage the pads, this isn’t too much of a leap for you to do yourself. Even the change of caliper isn’t that big of a job. Good luck! Rocketman

Hmmm, is kind of what I thought. I’m just trying to avoid the fun of bleeding the system after a caliper change. :slight_smile: What kind of grease/lube do you recommend? I know those parts get hot…

Any tips on the occasionally blinking cruise control light? It only happens when I depress the brake pedal and the cruise is on, but not engaged.

Your semi-loaded calipers will come pre-greased. Any further lubing should be done with a high temp grease such as silicone or wheel bearing grease or a synthetic based brake grease which many auto stores carry in small packets designed for one brake job. I agree that one of your calipers is binding and it will only get worse. Calipers should ALWAYS be replaced in pairs.

When I have seen this problem it was a restriction in the brake hose. I whould replace the brake hoses if they are original. Use a synthetic brake caliper grease. Permatex makes a good one. Get a Mighty Vac vacuum pump for bleeding the brakes. This is a very usefull tool and I have gotten my monies worth with mine. It makes it very easy to bleed the new caliper and you can usually doing it alone on front brakes. If you can’t that indicates you may have a restriction in the brake line, like rust build up or a hose that has a restriction in it(as suggested above). If this happens get a helper to step on the pedal to help you bleed them. You should flush out the old fluid in the front lines and master cylinder. If you feel ambitious do the rear as well. You have an older car and there may be some rust in the lines.

I went out and bought two new front calipers and replaced the non-overheating one first. That didn’t change the problem. The next day, I changed the overheating side, and now they get hot evenly! Solved. Thankfully it was not the brake lines themselves.