Forgot to release parking brake woes while towing behind RV!

1 Like

:dizzy_face:

I would like to be the fly on the wall at the dealership when they tell the owner that problems caused by Driver Error are not covered by the warranty.

3 Likes

Good lord! You’d have thought the RV driver would’ve noticed a little more “drag” when accelerating.

Of course, driving an RV… it might all be drag…

2 Likes

If I positioned car behind rv prior to towing I am pretty darn sure I would not engage parking brake. Now, on a newer car with elec shifting I assume when you hit park the trans shifting is electronic and park brake is engaged? So, what does manual say to select shift mode when you plan to flat tow it?

I’m thinking it was in 2WD park. Or it had GREAT parking brakes!

1 Like

On the plus side, the rear brakes seems to be working well …

3 Likes

One day i was working in my office, my wife calls me at 5pm in a panic. She was ready to leave work, and the parking brake release lever broke off in her hand. I told her go ahead and drive home (3 miles), keep her speed below 35, and keep her eye on the side mirror. If she sees smoke coming from the rear wheel, pull over and let it cool off for 20 minutes. I left my office at 6, got home, ate dinner, went to check the car. Release handle was broken, linkage was intact, yanked it and released the brake. The car was a 2008 Chrysler Pacifica, which back then was a station wagon. 4 wheel disks, parking brake was two tiny brake shoes inside the hat of the rotor. Pulled the rotor, shoes were a bit glazed, sandpaper cleared that up. Checked transmission fluid, didn’t look, smell, or taste burned. Took the car for a drive, declared it “good to go”. That car that was towed must have had one strong parking brake.

2 Likes

The manual for a 23 Jeep Cherokee states that the trans should be in park with the power transfer unit in neutral, with this note just below

You must ensure that the Auto Park Brake feature is disabled before towing this vehicle, to avoid inadvertent Electric Park Brake engagement. The Auto Park Brake feature is
enabled or disabled via the customer programmable features in the Uconnect Settings

How does transmission fluid taste when it ISN’T burnt?

When it is burnt, it tastes like roasted chestnuts. It has a “clean taste” when it’s not burnt.

1 Like

Thank you for that explanation.
I think I’ll stick to Johnny Walker Black Label, with a splash of water.
:wink:

4 Likes