Ford want to move to fixed pricing - opinions?

Then let them choke on it . The purpose of the form is to deter people from selling stolen goods to scrap dealers.

It seems strange you have to sign a form to even GIVE scrap metal away. You have to show ID and sign for $50 or more in Missouri. Tweakers stealing metal are a big problem in Missouri.

1 Like

It’s to keep your ticked off neighbor from taking your other neighbors prized hotrod to the scrapyard and having it crushed

2 Likes

I heard a story like this but with junk on the news. It looked like it was old mowers or appliances with grass and weeds growing in it. The neighbors were pissed as it was an eyesore and hauled it off for scrap themselves, thinking they were cleaning up the neighborhood. I don’t know if they gave it to the scrap yard or got any money but they just wanted the junk gone. They either got charged with theft since the metal was of a certain value or had to pay the people who owned it that value. I don’t remember the exact details but it definitely looked like junk from the pictures shown but it wasn’t their junk to haul off and get rid of.

Most towns have a Code Enforcement Officer who can issue violations to homeowners with junk like that on their property. Hopefully, next time those folks will go through official channels rather than taking matters into their own hands.

My guess, dealer A is 3 miles from the buyers house. Dealer B is 30 miles!

Why does that make a difference? You are IN dealer Bs chair already.

This was out in a rural area without code enforcement. There are places with just piles of crap, junk cars, etc. if you drive around on country roads. Some of the places must have thousands of dollars worth of junk just laying around, just in scrap value. There is no code enforcement to deal with this.

One of my friends sent me a few pictures like this recently. They were looking at buying some rural property and thought it was great based on the photos they were sent. Instead of just buying sight unseen, they decided to drive out and look at the place. The property itself looked nice and just like the pictures. The problem was the neighboring property which they photographed and told the seller of this place “No thanks” based on the eyesore they would have to stare out at. This isn’t even one of the worst ones of these I have seen around here. These sometimes have some funny things though. I just noticed what looks like an old pay telephone stood up there.

As for junk cars, I think there is a requirement that ANY car not parked in a secured garage, etc. has to be fully insured and have current tags. This is enforced in the city but not out in the rural areas if it even applies out there. There are plenty of personal car junkyards out there.

I think that rule applies in this area as well. Likewise, only place allowed to park a car is on pavement, not lawn, garden, or bare dirt areas. From what I see, neither rule is much enforced here. Lots of cars parked on bare dirt & lots of cars parked for long periods without moving & out of date tags.

In my township, there is even an ordinance prohibiting storage of an inoperable vehicle in your own garage!

Expired tags are pretty much the norm in Missouri, even on cars being driven on the road! It seems like tags have become “optional” in Missouri and nothing seems to get done about it so I guess this doesn’t surprise me. Non-running cars on lawns are a no-go in the city but I guess some do not choose to enforce it.

In most of suburban Buffalo you can park anything you want as long as ut is not visible from the street. No requirement for plates or insurance. Out in the country, if you have enough junk cars, they make you put a fence around them.

That is just a silly ordinance. Common, but silly.

1 Like

Good luck enforcing this one
 How is anyone going to know if there is an inoperable vehicle in a garage? I wonder if there is a certain number of days specified before it must be in working order once again.

Some cities do not allow people to work on cars in the parking lots of parts stores. My city doesn’t do that and the employees have told me people do major work that takes days to complete including stuff like replacement of major suspension components and even a transmission.

1 Like

A fellow collector had that ordinance enforced against him. He had a 1950’s Studebaker in his attached garage. Apparently one of his neighbors lodged a complaint with the township. Code enforcement officer shows up at his house demanding to inspect the garage. Owner tells him to get lost. Official returns with a warrant and a cop. The township then had the car towed away. They added the cost of extrication and the tow to the owners property tax bill.

1 Like

Easier than you think!

Garage door is up, the car is visibly disassembled, being worked on and/or unregistered. Simple drive-by or phone call from a nosy neighbor.

edit: @old_mopar_guy beat me to the post!

1 Like

I know theoretically you could buy at “B” and then get your car serviced at “A”. Will “A” treat you right considering you didn’t buy from them?

The service department doesn’t sell you cars. They don’t care where you bought it. Their paycheck depends on you coming back again and again not selling you a new car.

I suspected that might be your issue.

3 Likes

Anyone know why having an inoperable car in the garage is a bad thing? Are folks afraid of someone setting up shop in a neighborhood?

1 Like

Yes
 Because snobby people will be snobs
 They are too good to have anything less then a perfect vehicle in there garage

1 Like