Ford Ranger starts sometimes

Having issues with my Ranger. It cranks etc, but will not start. Sometimes there is no issue at all. Replaced the fuel pump, and it started right up and then this morning nothing :frowning_face:

Thanks in advance for your help!

The year and engine of your Ranger would be a big help.

Oh Gosh I am sorry.

It is a 99 Ranger with a 4.0 4wd

Could still be fuel related. A fuel pressure gage would be helpful, but if you don’t have one try this: before starting turn the key to the run position (not crank position), leave it on for 3 or 4 seconds. Repeat this 3 or 4 times. Then start it. If it fires right up you may have a restricted fuel filter or leaking fuel line.

Have your independent mechanic bypass the inertia switch for a month and see if the problem goes away. If it does just leave the bypass in place. This problem is as common as dirt on Ford Rangers. The switch cuts off power to the fuel pump in the event of a crash but a good bump will also activate it. I’ve owned several Rangers and bypassed all the inertia switches on mine.

Thanks everyone!!! I am going to try all of these things. Does anyone know an easy way to bypass the inertia switch?

We bypassed the inertia switch and that didn’t do it…Also tcmic, tried what you said also, it didn’t work either :frowning:

Could be a failing fuel pump relay, try swapping it with one of your other relays with the same part number, the one for you A/C should be the same.

Relay # 5 under the hood is for the fuel pump
Capture%201