Ford goes BIG on electric vehicles

I missed that part.

What, you expect people to follow the rules? One of the current Cali fires was started by a nutjob who was trying to “boil bear urine out of water.” Think she’d pay attention if someone tells her not to run the generator in the brush?

The higher level Teslas do have the range of my current ICE vehicles. But they’re also 6 figures and they’re Teslas. Love the cars, hate the company’s business practices, and I’d be nervous about what Musk would decide to disable next week if I owned one.

I think there’s an undisputed consumer desire for electric cars, but there’s also an undisputed lack of funds availability to afford them currently. With the larger automakers getting in on the game, that should change.

You guys gotta loosen up a little. This is what I put in the garage and shop. The price has come down since three years ago. They replaced my 100 watt bulbs. I don’t buy from Amazon unless absolutely necessary.

https://www.rockler.com/lumen-led-utility-light-with-aluminum-shroud

Like I said, pick pick pick. I bought about a dozen of those too for task lighting over the work bench, in the storage room, etc. I don’t remember what they cost but somewhere around $20-30. Point was LEDs are more costly but coming down in price but have better qualities.

I’ve also replaced most of my can lights with LED and ceiling and lamp lights with the standard bulbs. I’ve spent a lot of money on LEDs so don’t lie about them being cheaper than the old bulbs. That’s not why I bought them.

The bulbs aren’t cheaper, but they last far longer and use significantly less electricity. Just more upfront cost. When we moved to our current house about 2ish years ago, I swapped out every bulb in the house for LED (except for the bulbs over the bathroom sink because I haven’t found LED equivalents for the halogen bulbs yet) and I doubt very highly that I’ll need to replace any of them for at least 5-10 years. And one of them runs 24/7 in the basement as a nightlight.

Like I said, I don’t buy them because they will be cheaper in the long run which I think is a stretch. Same reason I don’t buy Mobil 1 so oil changes can be extended to save money. I don’t think we should be trying to rationalize LEDs by claiming they will be cheaper over the long run. I think that is questionable. If you want cheap, buy candles. People don’t pick the cheapest place to vacation either.

At any rate I’m done with this discussion-probably. Glad I’m not paying for the analysis.

No, she won’t pay attention. You can’t legislate away stupid. Let the normal folk buy their generators. That was the point I was trying to get at.

I wonder if Tesla and some of the others EV only companies might someday get bought out by the larger auto manufacturers. Similar to how a lot of smaller car makers were bought out by GM, Ford, etc back in the day when there were umpteen companies making cars.

Yep politics or not there is no known cure for stupid as of yet. :upside_down_face:

LED we will see, put them in the kitchen overhead light, one died, well not died but was doing stroboscope. Bathroom remodel led lights light up around the mirror, when they go who knows if I can replace them.

Seven or eight years ago I put three LEDs in the light over my dining room table within a little less than a month one did what you called a stroboscope replaced it and all plus a LED bug light on the porch and all are still working compared to two to three times a year that I was changing the standard bulbs that I was using before so yes they paid for themselves plus some.

1 Like

I think I bought mine about 4 years ago for the first batch in the garage. I had about three go bad with the strobe effect. Spose to be a 5 year warranty so the store replaced them. Then I had a couple more go bad and the store said they had to go back to the mfg. and the mfg. said the store needed to replace them. So I just threw them away. The replacement ones I bought have been just fine though. I think they had a problem with the heat sinks at first. I just keep a couple spare ones.

I did put one of the shade-less ones in the garage attic. Only had one bulb up there but that dang 3000 lumen or whatever it is works great up there. I guess I like them because they are very bright and take much less power.

I think that was the problem with the one that went bad on me.

My guess the Calif ban on portable generators is b/c of air pollutants from small gasoline engines. Not so much related to fires. In fact I think there’s a move on to ban all small gasoline engine equipped devices, at least in some counties, but unsure how far along this is. Here is San Jose area many of the communities have already banned natural gas appliances in some new construction. The ban is phased in, starting with new high rise commercial construction, followed by new high rise residential construction, … etc. One side effect that hasn’t been adequately addressed imo, this will make properties with existing housing considerably more valuable compared to new housing, b/c these properties will still be able to keep their natural gas appliances. I’ve lived in housing w/ an electric water heater, and it just wasn’t nearly as fast to re-heat the water compared to a natural gas water heater. I’d need a big price discount to even consider purchasing a house with an electric water heater. Electric ovens are ok, comparable to natural gas, but as for cooktops, natural gas is much better imo.

1 Like

Seems silly to ban natural gas appliances in favor of electrical appliances that get electricity from predominately…natural gas (I’ve read that nationally, natgas is the largest fuel source for power plants, no idea about San Jose specifically).

Stanton, TN is where “Black Snake Roan” was filmed. That was the last thing done there as the film studio basically left nothing but rubble in its downtown. The downtown had been abandoned many years before and after the film was made, it looked like the aftermath of a war zone. Looks like a new town will rise from the ashes.

The road to ruin and all that.

We had an electric water heater at the cabin mainly because the rural electric provided a good discount for it. Never had much problem with it except the elements needed to be replaced. Normally it would be just too expensive compared to gas.

Our city has a plant to convert natural gas to electricity. Went in maybe ten years ago.

I remember when I was in elementary school back in the late 1940s that the incandescent light fixtures were replaced with fluorescent fixtures because the fluorescent lights were much more efficient. In the 1980s, the screw in compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs) came along and were much more efficient than incandescent bulbs. Now LED lighting is replacing fluorescent lights, because LED lighting is much more efficient.
I remember discussing when I was in college in the late 1950s and early 1960s whether vacuum tubes would be replaced by transistors and solid state circuitry. Some said that transistors would never be able to handle the power that vacuum tubes could handle in TVs, radios and high fidelity equipment. Well, vacuum tube home entertainment equipment became obsolete within 20 years. In the mid 1980s, the church I attend sponsored a Vietnamese refugee family. To help them learn English, we decided to furnish a television set for them. Three non-working portable TV sets wound up at my house. I swapped parts around and had one set that would work if I could get a replacement vacuum tube. I went to Radio Shack and the vacuum tube I needed was $14.95. I could get a new portable TV at KMART on a “blue light special” for $50. I decided set wasn’t worth a new tube. I called Goodwill industries to see if they would sell me a used vacuum tube, but they wouldn’t do it. However, they traded me even the three portable TV sets for a working Dumont console. Now, nobody but hobbyists even mess with vacuum tube electronic equipment. I remember a plasma flat screen television on display at the Sears store where my son was employed in 2005. The price was $5000. Mrs. Triedaq really wanted one, but we decided to wait. Now a good flat screen television can be had for $500. That is certainly progress.
Back in the 1980s, I had a half time assignment at the university where I was employed as a research design consultant. I did s lot of statistical analyses. The computer in use at the time was a VAX cluster from DEC. The other two research design consultants said that the analyses we did would not be possible with a desktop computer. I decided to put it to s test. With the help of another staff member, we went to the computer lab and ran the analyses that I had run on the VAX cluster on a desktop computer with an Intel 286 processor. That computer didn’t have an internal disk drive. We swapped 5 1/4" floppy diskettes in and out of the A and B drives. The result was that it was possible to do the analyses on a desktop and since the VAX cluster was a time sharing machine, I could be more efficient if I had a desktop in my office. The university honored my request for my own personal computer. The other research design consultants got personal computers as well. That was progress.
When I think about the changes that have happened in the almost 80 years I have been on this planet, I think it is entirely possible that EVs will replace vehicles powered by internal combustion engines. ICE powered cars may become as obsolete as vacuum tube television sets. I hope to hang around long enough to see if it happens.
Of course there may be problems. I bought a Black and Decker cmm1000 battery powered mower from a friend. The sealed lead acid batteries cost $65 for a pair and the batteries would only last through two mowing seasons. When the control board gave out and a replacement was no longer available, I scrapped the mower and went back to my gasoline powered mower. However, I did like the quiet operation of the battery powered mower and when the gasoline powered mower I bought in 1988 finally gives out, I will buy s battery powered mower.

People tend to adopt new things that make their life better or less complicated. The horse gave way to the Ford because it was cheap and allowed far greater mobility than a horse. LEDs were adopted because the light is better and they last longer and are cheaper to operate. New houses are more comfortable because they allow more conveniences and are more energy efficient. All along there needs to be an improvement to encourage adoption without legislation. Now we take an ICE that can run all day and night long with 10 minute stops for fuel and go 1500 mile and run it against one that is higher cost, has to be recharged at home every night, can only go 2-300 miles in a sitting (which is only half way to Chicago for me) without stopping for a long lunch, require expensive replacement of battery packs at some point, but maybe does have fewer parts that will make the mechanics happy when they find a new vocation. Sure you can nibble away at any of the disadvantages but only a tyrannical government could make it happen in ten years. See what I mean? People tend to not throw something away that works for something that doesn’t. And who cares about 0-60?

1 Like

Chicago? Can’t you find employment closer to the farm? I drive 18 miles each day, I would only need to recharge once a week, that is if grandpa Joe gives each of us an EV.

Confucious say, nothing is given that someone doesn’t pay for later.