Ford Focus swollen lug nuts

@RandomTroll

That last comment . . .

Are you TRYING to get this discussion shut down? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

One of the first purchases I made when I bought my first car was a star wrench, which will fit 4 different lug sizes. Might that not be a fairly cheap solution?

As posted above, the best plan is to just revert to the normal non-chromed lug nuts. Both of my vehicles use normal non-chromed lug nuts, 25 years and older, and neither has ever had a lug nut problem. I think it’s a good idea to keep a 1/2 inch-drive breaker bar with the proper size socket in the car’s trunk too, rather than having to rely on the lug wrench that came w/the car. Less than $30 for both, cheap insurance. Won’t solve the swollen lug nut problem though. Only replacing the lug nuts will fix that. But with a new breaker bar, socket, and non-chromed lug nuts you should be good to go on that front for the rest of the life of the car. The socket will have some chrome on it, so you aren’t giving up on chrome entirely … :wink:

I believe the common advice is to replace the capped lug nuts with chrome lug nuts. Open lug nuts on a vehicle without wheel covers won’t protect the wheel studs from water, the studs will be more susceptible to rust without the cap or closed lug nut.

1 Like