Ford escape hybrid - is it still a ford?

we’re looking into the escape hybrid. with it’s full surround of cheap plastic, does it ride and last like a mediocre american car or is it a good american option to the more expensive, better detailed japanese hybrids?

That’s kind of a loaded question… have you actually driven an American car made in the last 15 years or so?

To answer your question, the hybrid system is made by Toyota (the same one that’s in the Prius) but most everything else is made by Ford. They’ve been out long enough that there should be some meaningful information in consumer reports and elsewhere about reliability. I’d suggest that your idea of what feels like a cheap car is entirely subjective and your best bet is to go out and test drive one. You may be more comfortable in a Mazda Tribute hybrid, which is the exact same car with a Japanese badge.

I’m not sure it’s made Toyota, parts were licensed from them, though. Luan S. needs to drive one, see what they think…only other hybrid CUV is a Highlander, but I bet it’s much more $$$. If I had to pick one of the ‘big’ 3 to recommend, it’d be Ford. I bought one.

Ford has licensed certain Toyota patents to prevent IP-related disputes, and some of the hybrid components are made by the same sub-contractor that makes the Toyota components, but the design is not a Toyota design (as far as I know).

I own a 2007 escape hybrid and haven’t had any problems with it. I would certainly recommend this vehicle (assuming that your requirements match what hybrids are good at and you need something larger than a prius).

lol, I have to laugh at this. Cheap plastic… as opposed to all of that highfalutin rich man plastic that covers the interior of the Honda CRV?

According to consumer reports the Hybrid has above average reliability. The gas standard version is average(v6) to above average (4cyl).

If the interior bothers you the Lexus is nice with a significant price increase. Personally I am not a fan of Ford interiors either.

Who did Toyota license their hybrid technology from?

Just so you know I’m an owner of 2009 Escape Hybrid Ltd and have on my Kiwi (Ford called its green color full hybrid SUB back then).

The full hybrid Escape is a Ford full hybrid, not a Toyota as some in this discussion wrongly pointed out. It’s one of the greatest purely American automotive industry successes. And it made a history with its longevity reaching 300,000 mileage as New York & San Francisco taxi car, also chosen by NY Police department used for years.

It was manufactured between 2006 and 2012 when Ford discontinued this uniquely built SUV and replaced it with Prius-alike small car hoping to compete better against the most popular hybrid. While Ford Escape Hybrid SUV was in production it doesn’t have any market competition and it was practically number one compact SUV taking over Honda and Toyota, which was smaller and without full hybrid SUV on the market then.

So far my full hybrid SUV is maintenance almost free and better Escape than the non-hybrid Escapes in comparison. Replacing only a usually warn parts of the conventional 2.5 L 4-cyl engine. While never had any problem with the electrical motor and the high-voltage big battery, installed under the trunk in the back, like the extraordinary reliability record of this model shows.

In addition to this Ford Escape SUV hybrid discussion I also can add from my personal positive experience that - in comparison with the most popular hybrid small car (Prius) this SUV can drive purely on electrical motor and the hybrid batteries up to 40-45 mph speed if you know how to coast and be light on the gas pedal. Prius can’t do that since only Ford achieved this full hybrid adjustment. Having the stated mileage on this SUV is unique in the market for the period of this model production until 2012.