Ford eliminates a high-tech feature

I believe those cameras are required by law maybe going back to 2015.
I back into my driveway which gives me a clear view of pedestrians on the sidewalk. Driving forward out of the driveway is also much safer especially during the winter season with car shelters in place.

I have 3 rear facing cameras: one on the trunk and one each on the B pillars. They are all active when I back up. Despite that, I still use my rear view mirrors.

2 Likes

Self-parking feature is mostly electronic so it should be pretty cheap in production. My guess is that even ford doesnā€™t trust ford with advanced potentially dangerous technology. I definitely donā€™t.

My wife has the self parking feature and automatic retrieval, me. I donā€™t think she totally trusts it either.

Having grown up not far outside of NYC, and still with an apartment in the Bronx (my M-I-Lā€™s old place), Iā€™d love to see an auto-park handle some of the things Iā€™ve doneā€¦For one thing, Iā€™m sure it wonā€™t play kissing bumpers which would just annoy me. And for another, it probably wouldnā€™t play ā€œa little over the yellow lineā€ at the end of the curb, or ā€œa little bit closer to the hydrant than the law technically allows.ā€ I like the human fudge factor - kept within reason.

Of course, many people just canā€™t park. When Iā€™m at the Bronx place, which has an 8th floor terrace overlooking the street, one of my sources of amusement is having a drink on the terrace and watching people try to park. Are you kidding me? And Iā€™m not even talking parallel - I mean like the end spot on the street is open and people canā€™t just pull in next to the curb, even without any backing or maneuvering. Insane. And inane. A lot of people need the auto-park, except those are also the ones who should not be driving at all.

1 Like

I have remote start on both of my 4Runners (2004 and 2018), never had a problem with either.