Ford Contour that doesn't accelerate and shuts off

I have a 1999 Ford Contour with about 70,000 miles on it. While driving on the interstate (70-80 mph), it suddenly and quickly decelerated until I was going under 30 mph. I pulled off the road, waited a while, and then was able to drive like it was normal to take an exit. I waited at a gas station for a while and then attempted to get back on the interstate. I was able to travel at a normal speed for 5-10 minutes when it started to decelerate again. As I was trying to pull off the road, the oil and engine lights came on, and the car shut down on me. Anybody have this happen to them or know what’s going on?

There’s a plethora of possibilities here. An alternator dying, a fuel pump dying, or a ground strap coming apart could all give the same symptoms, as could a bunch of other things.

The good news is that these symptoms are usually caused by something peripheral to the engine’s internals, so your odds of getting it back up and running without going bankrupt are good. But it does need to be looked at hands-on.

A restricted catalytic convertor could be the cause.

howdy check the fuel filter first it could be mostly plugged. and cheap to replace.