Ford Air conditioner

I have a 2012 Ford Fusion with low mileage. When I start up the car the air conditioner works well but after driving it for a while the lower vents work but little or no air from the upper vents. I can’t adjust the setting on manual or automatic. When I brought the car to the Dealer they can’t find the problem.

Sounds like a broken blend door in the dash or a vacuum leak that is preventing the blend door from operating. I’m a little concerned that the dealer you went to could not diagnose this. It might be time to go to a dealer with a little more technical knowledge.

These cars must have truly problematic air conditioners, as you are the second person to post this problem in just 30 minutes.

;-))

Seriously, however, as bloody knuckles said, this would appear to be a blend door problem. However, I don’t think that this car relies on vacuum lines to operate the servos for the blend doors, and instead I think that they are likely to be electrically-operated.

In any event, as was already suggested, a different dealer might be more helpful, or if the car’s Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty is no longer in effect, an independent auto A/C shop might be a better choice for getting this repaired.

The mode door actuator is controlled by the HVAC Digital Automatic Temperature Control module.

Since the mode door changes position where no air comes out the dash vents, say’s that the mode door actuator is working. So the HVAC DATC module must be commanding the mode door actuator to go to that position.

Unless this malfunction is occurring while the vehicle is in the dealer’s hands, and with a scan tool hooked up, it’ll be impossible to determine why the HVAC DATC module is commanding the mode door actuator into that position

Tester

Does anyone else remember just how great those add on under the dash airconditioners were?

^
You must have gotten one of the good ones.
The one that my father had installed in his '66 Galaxie 500 was…anemic…at best.

“Does anyone else remember just how great those add on under the dash airconditioners were?”

Not me. The ones that I had were just about worthless. They did turn on…made fan noises…but I would hardly call them air conditioners.

My Dad’s '63 Dodge add-on under-dash AC worked great.

There is no reason why an add-on air conditioner shouldn’t cool as well.as factory air conditioning in recirculation mode. My dad bought a used 1963 Buick LeSabre in 1966 that had a,Mitchell Mark IV unit installed. It cooled the cabin quite well–as well as any factory unit. Nash motor company in 1954 was the first company to integrate the air conditioning with the heating system and have the entire system under the hood and within the dashboard. Nils Erik Walberg was the Nash company engineer who designed the system.
I wonder in the case,of the OP if the system isn"t partially icing up.

“My dad bought a used 1963 Buick LeSabre in 1966 that had a,Mitchell Mark IV unit installed. It cooled the cabin quite well.”

My father had a choice of a Mark IV unit or a cheaper Eaton, Yale & Towne unit, and he chose the cheaper one, due to our budget. More than likely the Mark IV unit would have been a better choice.

Back in the “good ole days” I installed quite a few hang on units on various cars and trucks and never had a complaint other than a problem with icing up on extremely humid days when the fan was on low. The compressor and condensor were likely capable of 10,000 btus at highway speeds.