Fogged up windows

I drive a 2002 Grand Marquis. This morning it was in the high 30’s to low 40’s outside. As I was driving, all of the car windows quickly fogged up on the inside. The engine temp was normal, and the inside temp was warm. I turned on the defroster, but all that did was clear the bottom center portion of the windshield. Turning the fan higher, and lowering the inside temperature made no difference.

Could the fact that I had just showered and washed my hair have caused my windows to fog up?

This Sounds As Though This Was Highly Out Of The Ordinary For You.

Should that be the case and you have owned this car for quite some time, I would have somebody check the cooling system and coolant level ASAP. A leaking heater core (under the dashboard) can cause this anomaly. Coolant could actually leak, steam, and even wet the floor. Otherwise, it could be that the air conditioner has a problem (it helps defrost) or maybe it is your hair, slush and snow on the floor, or just the right weather factors.

Check it. You don’t want to run low on coolant or run into somebody because you can’t see out.

I’d rule out ice or snow immediately. We don’t get that here!

Are you sure it was on the inside and not on the outside? Did you try your wipers? I’ve had sudden fogging when driving through a patch of warm air after going through cooler air, but it was always on the outside.

wipers had no effect. I reached up and touched the windshield, and it definitely was on the inside. It was uniform inside ALL my windows, except where the defogger blows at the bottom of the windshield, where it had cleared.

It may have been a one time thing, however did it small sweet or musty?  Are the floor mats wet (front or back)?  Did the temperature drop a lot recently?

Set the system for outside air instead of recycled. If it is already set for outside air, you might have a leaking heater core.

There is no smell. Floors should be dry. This morning was cooler than the past few days. However, We’ve had colder mornings a week or so ago.

The Floors “Should Be Dry”, But May Not Be.

The problem you are experiencing could indicate a new problem.
You need to pick up any mats or carpeting that will lift on the floor in front and back, on both sides and press your hand down into whatever floor covering remains and check for liquid on your hand.

Did you have the coolant level checked yet?

Floor is dry under dash. Mechanic checked that.

This morning was another cold morning. I drove most of the way with my heater/AC system OFF. The windows stayed clear except I started to get a slight fog spot at the bottom center of the windshield above the defrost vent. It gradually got larger, and eventually the right side of the windshield started getting foggy. The left side was still clear.

My fingers were freezing, so I pressed the “floor” button. The fan came on, and instantly my entire windshield and all windows fogged up, I had to pull over and dry it with a handkerchief. I also noticed a fog in the air coming out of the vents. I did not smell anything unusual.

Other than that, my heating and cooling all work great, and the engine temp stays normal (about half way up, once the engine is warm).

Update. It was low 30’s outside this morning, about 48 outside at lunch time. I drive with everything off. I start getting hot. I can feel a little hot air from the vents. I push “automatic” (temp set at “78”). The fan comes on and it begins blowing cold visible fog out of the vents. It soon becomes invisible, but it still blows cold.

A friend of mine suggested that my vent doors may not be working right, and that it may be pulling in outside air through my heater, creating a fog.
Does that sound like a possibility?

A friend of mine suggested that my vent doors may not be working right, and that it may be pulling in outside air through my heater, creating a fog.
Does that sound like a possibility?

Just the opposite. You WANT to bring in air from the outside to prevent fogging. Cold air can not hold much moisture, as it warms up it has a lower humidity and will not fog your windows.

If you have been setting the controls to re-circulate then that may well be the cause of your problem.   It may also be true that your HVAC system is not functioning properly and is not allowing fresh air in.  

After reading everything you have told us, I believe it is most likely due to setting the system to recycle or due to a small leak in the heater core.

Do you ever hear a running water sort of sound when you are just starting out?

I just went back to my mechanic. He rubbed his finger on the windshield and said it’s antifreeze. I have an extended warranty which covers everything except the kitchen sink… or heater cores…

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for getting back to us.

We appreciate hearing from people when they have new information. Good Luck.

CSA

I replaced the heater core on a 94 Grand Marquis. In the middle of the operation, I had a vision of how this car is manufactured. At the very beginning of the assembly line, someone places a heater core on the belt. It moves on down the line and the rest of the workers proceed to build a car around it.

My mechanic said something similar… that the whole car was built around the heater core. Looks like dissassembling the entire car to replace a $30.00 part.

Would it help to try StopLeak? Would it hurt anything? Would it void my extended warranty?

Would it help to try StopLeak

Maybe for a while, but it might also clog up places that should not be clogged.

If you have an extended warranty (which I seldom advise as it does not make economic sense) why do you want to play with leak stop? Get at least some of your money’s worth out of that warranty (really an insurance policy).

Joseph, It Has Already Been Stated …

… "I just went back to my mechanic. He rubbed his finger on the windshield and said it’s antifreeze. I have an extended warranty which covers everything except the kitchen sink… or heater cores… "

CSA