Flammable fluids

Is it unwise to keep extra windshield cleaner/antifreeze/motor oil/steering wheel fluid in the trunk because of flammability?

No. Most of the those fluids aren’t flammable except for the motor oil. But even at that, it takes ideal conditions to get motor oil to ignite.

Tester

As @Tester suggested. It’s fine. Nothing you listed is explosive or will pressurize by heat buildup in the trunk.

You didn’t mention gasoline, but I have known people to keep a gas “can” in their trunk. THAT is a very bad idea in the event of a wreck.

Aerosol cans are a potential problem also. Likewise refrigerant. The temperature in a car parked in the sun can rise to well over 160* and cause the presurized cans to burst.

If you owned a Volvo–as I did–it was necessary to carry quantities of…
motor oil…
transmission fluid…
antifreeze/coolant…
to such an extent that, on a long trip, I took very little luggage in order to leave room for all of the fluids that would be needed along the way.

As was said, none of the fluids that you listed is truly flammable, so feel free to carry whatever fluids you think that you might need, and–give thanks to God that you own a Honda, and not a Volvo.

Just keep them secure, you don’t want them bouncing around the trunk if you have to slam on the brakes.

I do the oil, brake and power steering since they are small quantities, fit in the spare tire area, and would have problems finding the Honda fluids on the road when I might need them. I’m not worried about an explosion. Except nix the power steering fluid anymore since it is electric.

May I ask why you feel the need to carry all that stuff around ? Even on cross country trips there are Walmarts all over the place.

thanks all. and to volvo - because it’s what’s left over in the bottle after the last time I needed it, but good point - I haven’t needed it in a while…

None of those fluids are flammable. The motor oil and the power steering fluids are combustible, but not flammable. The difference is that flammable materials can be set off by a spark where a combustible must be heated up first, usually by an open flame, but they must get really hot first.

You can pretty much safely carry most common fluids used in your car in the trunk, with the exception of gasoline. It takes only a very small leak in a gas can before you’re building up explosive quantities of vapors in your trunk or stinking up the passenger compartment of your car enough to practically get high from it. Consider how fragrant just one drop of gas is when spilled on your hands or clothing.

But just out of curiosity, what about inflammable fluids?

“It takes only a very small leak in a gas can before you’re building up explosive quantities of vapors in your trunk or stinking up the passenger compartment of your car enough to practically get high from it.”

I had a hatchback once, and an aerosol can of starting fluid (i.e. diethyl ether) in the back. Apparently it shifted in transit, started spraying, and before I really knew what was happening, my head was swimming! Fortunately I got the windows down right quick and cleared my head up, but it was a pretty close thing.